World

Philippines accuses China of ‘incursion’ in disputed sea

Coast guard detects 200 boats in line formation

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 21 Mar 2021 11:59PM

Philippines accuses China of ‘incursion’ in disputed sea
The Philippine coast guard detected Chinese militia boats at its Whitsun Reef, around 320km west of Palawan Island, on March 7. – AFP pic, March 21, 2021

MANILA – The Philippines today accused China of “incursion” after more than 200 militia boats were spotted near a disputed reef in the South China Sea, in a rare rebuke of its superpower neighbour.

The Philippine coast guard detected the boats “in line formation” at the boomerang-shaped Whitsun Reef around 320km west of Palawan Island on March 7.

“We call on the Chinese to stop this incursion and immediately recall these boats violating our maritime rights and encroaching into our sovereign territory,” Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said in a statement.

“This is a clear provocative action of militarising the area. These are territories well within Philippine Exclusive Economic Zone.”

Lorenzana said the government was considering “appropriate action” to take to protect Filipino fishermen, the country’s marine resources and maintain peace and stability in the area.

Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin said on Twitter he had lodged a diplomatic protest over the ships.

The Chinese embassy in Manila did not respond to a request for comment.

A government task force charged with monitoring the contested waters announced yesterday the detection of around 220 “Chinese Maritime Militia Vessels” earlier this month.

“Despite clear weather at the time, the Chinese vessels massed at the reef showed no actual fishing activities,” the agency said.

The United States has previously accused China of using maritime militia to “intimidate, coerce and threaten other nations” over its claims to almost the entire South China Sea.

The resource-rich waterway is also contested by several countries, including the Philippines.

China has ignored a 2016 international tribunal decision that declared its assertion as without basis.

Philippine-China relations have improved under President Rodrigo Duterte, who has tried to steer his country away from the ambit of the US – its former colonial master – to pursue greater economic cooperation with its giant neighbour and American rival.

But Duterte’s shift has failed to stem Chinese ambitions in the sea or unlock much of the billions of dollars of promised trade and loans.

He has repeatedly said conflict with China would be futile and that the Philippines would lose and suffer heavily in the process.

Lorenzana, however, has been more outspoken. 

In August, he accused China of illegally occupying Filipino maritime territory, saying the nine-dash line used by Beijing to justify its alleged historic rights to the key waterway was a fabrication.

His remarks at the time came amid a fresh row over the disputed Scarborough shoal, which China seized from the Philippines in 2012 following a tense stand-off.

In 2019, the Philippines also complained after hundreds of Chinese ships were seen near Pag-asa island, also known as Thitu, which the country branded as “illegal”. – AFP, March 21, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3h

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

Malaysia / 4d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 4d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Malaysia / 4w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war