World

Brazil clears use of full vaccine stock as first doses

Amid deadly surge, authorities say move will double number of doses administered in coming week

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 22 Mar 2021 7:00AM

Brazil clears use of full vaccine stock as first doses
A Brazilian health worker administering a second Covid-19 dose to a woman in February. The country is ramping up second doses due to concerns it will not meet the goal of inoculating its entire adult population by year’s end. – AFP pic, March 22, 2021

BRASILIA – Brazil said yesterday it was lifting its requirement for local authorities to reserve half their coronavirus vaccine stockpiles for second doses, seeking to accelerate its lagging immunization campaign and curb a deadly Covid-19 surge.

Outgoing Health Minister Eduardo Pazuello said the goal of the policy switch was to get at least one vaccine dose to the maximum number of people as fast as possible.

Brazil, which has the second-highest death toll in the pandemic, is so far using the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine and Chinese-developed CoronaVac, both of which require two doses.

“By freeing the full stockpile of vaccines for immediate use, we will be able to double the number of doses applied this week, saving and protecting more lives,” Pazuello said in a statement.

The ministry said it had received guarantees from suppliers that enough vaccines would arrive to ensure all recipients receive their second dose on schedule.

There has been international debate over whether it is better to administer as many first doses as possible or reserve some supply for second doses.

Countries such as Britain have shown promising results adopting the first strategy.

Brazil has issued at least one dose to around 5.5% of the population so far – way off pace to meet the Health Ministry’s goal of vaccinating the entire adult population by the end of the year.

In a boost to the immunization campaign, Brazil received its first shipment yesterday of vaccines secured through the United Nations Covax program for low- and middle-income countries.

Just over one million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine were shipped to Sao Paulo, officials said. The Health Ministry said another 1.9 million doses were expected by the end of the month under the program.

In a setback, however, public health institute Fiocruz, which is partnering with AstraZeneca to distribute and eventually produce the vaccine in Brazil, confirmed that eight million doses it was expecting from India had been delayed.

It said the British-Swedish pharmaceutical firm’s Indian partner, the Serum Institute, had not indicated when it would be able to supply them.

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro faces mounting pressure to accelerate the vaccination drive and get a handle on the pandemic, which has claimed 294,000 lives in Brazil, second only to the United States. – AFP, March 22, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations