World

AstraZeneca US trials thrown into doubt after promising data

Anglo-Swedish pharma giant says to publish new data in response by tomorrow

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 24 Mar 2021 7:00AM

AstraZeneca US trials thrown into doubt after promising data
AstraZeneca is facing bad publicity after doubt emerged over its US vaccine data, while a 26-year-old man in France died after receiving the jab even though no links have yet been established. – AFP pic, March 23, 2021

WASHINGTON – A US health agency raised concerns yesterday that AstraZeneca may have included out-of-date information during trials of its Covid-19 vaccine, a day after the company said its drug was highly effective in preventing the disease.

The Anglo-Swedish pharma giant stood by its assessment of the results of its US trials, saying it would publish new data “within 48 hours” in response to concerns raised by the US National Institute for Allergies and Infectious Diseases. 

In more bad publicity for AstraZeneca, French authorities said they are investigating the death of a 26-year-old medical student days after he received their Covid-19 vaccine, while stressing that no link had been established yet with the jab.

The fresh problems for the drugmaker, which had on Monday hailed its vaccine as 79% effective at preventing Covid-19, come as Europe continues to wrangle over shortages of the jab and after weeks of safety concerns. 

With AstraZeneca delivering only 30% of the doses it promised the EU for the first quarter, Germany threw its weight behind a ban on European exports of the jab, while also announcing strict virus measures over Easter to contain spiralling infections. 

The European Commission will today adopt “a revision of the export transparency and authorisation mechanism,” a spokesman in Brussels told journalists.

Meanwhile, Britain marked the anniversary of its first coronavirus lockdown by holding a minute’s silence for the more than 126,000 of its citizens who have died from Covid-19, the fifth-highest death toll in the world.

The global death toll now stands at more than 2.7 million. – AFP, March 24, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66