World

North Korea launches suspected ballistic missiles

‘Unidentified projectile’ launched into Sea of Japan, says Seoul

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Mar 2021 8:00AM

North Korea launches suspected ballistic missiles
North Korea has made rapid progress in its capabilities under leader Kim Jong-un, testing missiles capable of reaching the entire continental United States as tensions mounted in 2017. – AFP pic, March 25, 2021

SEOUL – North Korea fired two suspected ballistic missiles into the sea today, in what would be its first substantive provocation to the new United States administration of Joe Biden.

The nuclear-armed North has a long history of using weapons tests as provocations, in a carefully calibrated process to forward its objectives.

Donald Trump’s first year in office was marked by a series of escalating launches, accompanied by a war of words between him and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

Pyongyang had been biding its time since the new administration took office, not even officially acknowledging its existence until last week.

But Seoul’s joint chiefs of staff said the North launched two short-range missiles into the Sea of Japan, known as the East Sea in Korea, from South Hamgyong province.

They travelled 450km and reached a maximum altitude of 60km, the JCS added, without specifying their type more precisely.

But Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga was unequivocal, telling reporters: “North Korea launched two ballistic missiles.”

It had been a year since the last such incident, he added, saying: “This threatens the peace and security of our country and the region. It is also a violation of the UN resolution.”
Tokyo said they came down outside the waters of Japan’s exclusive economic zone.

North Korea is banned from developing any ballistic missiles under UN Security Council resolutions, and is under multiple international sanctions over its weapons programmes.

But it has made rapid progress in its capabilities under Jong-un, testing missiles capable of reaching the entire continental US as tensions mounted in 2017.

Trump and Jong-un then embarked on an extraordinary diplomatic bromance, holding two headline-grabbing summits in Singapore and Vietnam.

The US pulled back on some joint military exercises with South Korea while the North froze intercontinental ballistic missile tests.

But the February 2019 Hanoi summit broke up over sanctions relief and what North Korea would be willing to give up in return.

Communications then dried up, despite a third encounter in the Demilitarised Zone that divides the Korean peninsula, and no substantive progress was made towards denuclearisation.

“North Korea appears to be returning to a familiar pattern of using provocations to raise tensions and garner attention,” said Jean Lee of the Wilson Centre in Washington.

Pyongyang carried out a series of weapons tests last year that it called “long-range artillery” but others described as short-range ballistic missiles. 

Trump had been “willing to turn a blind eye to North Korea’s ballistic missile launches as long as they were not tests of long-range missiles”, Lee said. 

“But I suspect the Biden administration will confront any confirmed ballistic missile launches that violate UN Security Council resolutions.” – AFP, March 25, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 8mth

Perlis Mufti reveals existence of deviant movement from South Korea

World / 2y

Biden drops out of presidential race

Sports & Fitness / 2y

Revive inter-state league to spot new talents, says former team manager

Business / 2y

Sabah to roll out My Second Home programme to woo more talents

Malaysia / 2y

S. Korea could help Asean boost economy, tackle climate change: Anwar

Business / 2y

Work with Korea’s Naver, Fahmi calls on MDEC

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing