World

300,000 virus deaths ‘biggest genocide’ in Brazil’s history, says ex-president

Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva accuses Jair Bolsonaro of lying to public about pandemic

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 26 Mar 2021 10:00PM

300,000 virus deaths ‘biggest genocide’ in Brazil’s history, says ex-president
Recent polls show former Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva (pic) is the best-placed politician to challenge far-right incumbent Jair Bolsonaro in next year’s election. – AFP pic, March 26, 2021

BERLIN – Brazil’s more than 300,000 deaths from the coronavirus amount to the “biggest genocide” in the Latin American country’s history, said former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva today in a scathing attack on current leader Jair Bolsonaro. 

“On Tuesday, 3,158 people died of Covid-19 in Brazil. It’s the biggest genocide in our history,” he told Germany’s Der Spiegel weekly, adding that Bolsonaro lied to the Brazilian people about the pandemic.

“We must save Brazil from Covid-19,” he said, adding that “Brazil will not withstand it if this man continues to govern in this way”.

As the country surpassed 300,000 deaths from the virus on Wednesday, Lula called on Bolsonaro to apologise to victims’ families.

More than 12 million people have been infected in Brazil, including the virus-sceptical, far-right Bolsonaro.

The country has seen record daily infections in the last week and thousands of deaths per day, blamed on a local variant of the disease that is believed to be more contagious.

Lula, 75, led Brazil through an economic boom from 2003 to 2010 as head of the left-wing Workers’ Party before being sentenced to a total 26 years in prison on charges of taking bribes in 2017.

After the corruption conviction against him was annulled earlier this month, recent opinion polls suggested that he is the best-placed politician to challenge Bolsonaro in next year’s election.

The Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that the former president had been convicted by a “biased” judge.

In the interview published today, Lula said the conviction was the result of a “pact between the judiciary and some parts of the media” in order to remove his successor and party colleague, Dilma Rousseff, from office and prevent him from running in the 2018 election.

Asked whether he will run against Bolsonaro in 2022, he said now is not the time to talk about candidacies.

“Our attention should be focused not on the election, but on fighting the virus and vaccinating the public.” – AFP, March 26, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations