World

North Korea accuses Biden of ‘provocation’ after missile test

US president’s comments risk triggering more weapons tests, says top regime official

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 Mar 2021 2:00PM

North Korea accuses Biden of ‘provocation’ after missile test
Ri Pyong-chol, a leading official in North Korea’s missile programme who supervised the test, says President Joe Biden's comments have revealed his ‘deep-seated hostility’ to the regime. – AFP pic, March 27, 2021

SEOUL – President Joe Biden’s condemnation of this week’s North Korean missile launches risked provoking further weapons tests, a top regime official said today after Pyongyang’s first substantive provocation since the United States president took office. 

The nuclear-armed North has a long history of using weapons tests to ramp up tensions, in a carefully calibrated process to try to forward its objectives.

Pyongyang had been biding its time since the new administration took office in Washington, not even officially acknowledging its existence until last week.

But on Thursday it launched two weapons from its east coast into the Sea of Japan, known as the East Sea in Korea.

Following the launch, Biden labelled the test a violation of UN resolutions and advised the isolated state against ramping up military testing, warning that “there will be responses if they choose to escalate”.

Ri Pyong-chol, a leading official in North Korea’s missile programme who supervised the test, said the president's comments had revealed his “deep-seated hostility” to the regime.

“Such remarks from the US president are an undisguised encroachment on our state’s right to self-defence and provocation to it,” Ri said in a statement published by state media outlet KCNA.

Ri said Pyongyang was expressing its “deep apprehension over the US chief executive faulting the regular testfire, (an) exercise of our state’s right to self-defence, as the violation of UN ‘resolutions’”.

“If the US continues with its thoughtless remarks without thinking of the consequences, it may be faced with something that is not good,” he added, warning that North Korea was prepared to “continue to increase our most thoroughgoing and overwhelming military power”. – AFP, March 27, 2021

Related News

World / 2y

Biden drops out of presidential race

World / 2y

Kim Jong-un expected to meet Putin in Russia over arms supply: report

Business / 3y

Man who threatened Biden dies in FBI raid: report

World / 3y

Democrat lawmakers slam Biden’s decision to send cluster munitions to Ukraine

World / 3y

US ‘had nothing to do with’ Wagner revolt in Russia: Biden

World / 3y

Facing geopolitical peril, how will Modi play his hand with Biden?

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66