World

Suez chief cites possible ‘human error’ in ship grounding

Strong winds, weather factors not solely responsible, says canal chief

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 28 Mar 2021 12:30PM

Suez chief cites possible ‘human error’ in ship grounding
Tug boats and dredgers attempting to free the MV Ever Given lodged in the Suez Canal. – AFP pic, March 28, 2021

SUEZ – Egypt’s Suez Canal chief said yesterday that “technical or human errors” could be behind the grounding of a huge container ship blocking the vital waterway, causing a backlog of over 300 vessels.

Osama Rabie, head of the Suez Canal Authority, told reporters that the ship could be afloat again by tonight.

The crisis has crippled global supply chains, forcing cargo firms to choose between waiting or the expensive option of rerouting vessels around the southern tip of Africa.

Officials had previously blamed 40-knot gusts and a sandstorm for the accident.

But Rabie said yesterday that “strong winds and weather factors” were not solely responsible, saying there “may have been technical or human errors”.

Asked when the vessel might be freed, he sounded an optimistic note.

“We could finish today or tomorrow (Sunday), depending on the ship’s responsiveness” to tides, he said.

More than 320 ships carrying billions of dollars-worth of cargo are now stalled at either end of the vital shipping lane linking Asia to Europe.

The 193km-long canal from the Red Sea to the Mediterranean is vital for shipping between Asia and Europe, the alternative route around the Cape of Good Hope costing an additional 12 days at sea.

Egypt is losing some US$12-14 million in revenue from the canal for each day it is closed, Rabie added.

The MV Ever Given, which is longer than four football fields, has been wedged diagonally across the canal since Tuesday, blocking it in both directions. – AFP, March 28, 2021

Related News

Business / 1w

Port businesses badly hit by uncertainty over commingled oil tax – maritime expert

Malaysia / 4mth

One Malaysian oil tanker is damaged, unable to depart from the Strait of Hormuz - PM

Malaysia / 5mth

PPC closely monitoring global shipping conditions amidst escalating tensions in Middle East

Malaysia / 9mth

Boat capsize: Another body found, bringing the total to 27

Heritage / 9mth

Nearly 1,000-year-old shipwreck found on Pulau Melaka

Malaysia / 1y

Turkish Multi-Purpose Mission Ship (MPMS) to enhance MMEA’s capabilities

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl