World

French pharma firm convicted of manslaughter over weight loss pill deaths

Servier fined €2.7 mil for aggravated deceit, manslaughter and causing unintentional injury

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 29 Mar 2021 9:00PM

French pharma firm convicted of manslaughter over weight loss pill deaths
The drug Mediator was on the market for 33 years and used by about five million people before being pulled in 2009 over fears it could cause serious heart problems. – File pic, March 29, 2021

PARIS – A court today found pharma giant Servier guilty of manslaughter over hundreds of deaths caused by its diabetes and weight loss pill, in one of France’s biggest health scandals.

The drug Mediator was on the market for 33 years and used by about five million people before being pulled in 2009 over fears it could cause serious heart problems – more than a decade after such concerns had first been raised.

The company “weakened people’s trust in the health system”, the court’s presiding judge Sylvie Daunis said as she pronounced the verdict.

“Although they knew about the risks for many years... they never took the necessary measures,” she said.

Instead the company “misled” consumers, she said, fining the company €2.7 million (RM13.16 million) for aggravated deceit, manslaughter and causing unintentional injury.

Servier’s former deputy boss, Jean-Philippe Seta, was sentenced to a suspended jail sentence of four years.

Its powerful chairman, Jacques Servier, died in 2014.

France’s medicines agency, meanwhile, was fined €303,000 for its delay in suspending the use of the drug.

In a damning verdict for the regulator the court convicted it of manslaughter and causing unintentional injury, saying it “seriously failed in its role as health watchdog”.

Initially intended for overweight people with diabetes, Mediator was widely prescribed to healthy individuals as an appetite suppressant.

The first cases of heart disease linked to the drug were flagged in 1999, a decade before the drug was withdrawn.

Over 6,500 plaintiffs, including France’s health insurance funds, are seeking €1 billion in damages.

Many of the victims who testified in court about the impact of the drug on their lives were women. 

“It was said that the drug was extraordinary. I lost 10kg the first month,” said one plaintiff, Stephanie, who took the drug for three years before being diagnosed with heart disease in 2009.

About 500 people are thought to have died as a result of the drug, though experts say it may eventually cause as many as 2,100 deaths.

Thousands of victims have already reached settlements with the company, totalling nearly €200 million, according to Servier.

The Mediator affair was the subject of the 2016 French film 150 Milligrams, about the work of lung specialist Irene Frachon, who was instrumental in bringing the wrongdoing to light.

Servier and Seta claimed they did not know the drug was dangerous until 2009 when it was withdrawn. 

By then, it had been outlawed in the United States, Spain and Italy. – AFP, March 29, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 6h

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs

Malaysia / 4d

Mother’s use of anxiety medication during pregnancy caused baby to test positive for drugs

Malaysia / 4d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 5d

Attempt to smuggle methamphetamine worth RM12.26m into Malaysia foiled

Malaysia / 1w

Is reputation worth so much more than a person’s life?

Malaysia / 1w

Man positive for drugs, brandishes meat cleaver at delivery rider (video)

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66