World

US orders departure of non-essential diplomats from Myanmar

State Dept updates voluntary departure of US govt employees to an ordered one

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 31 Mar 2021 9:30AM

US orders departure of non-essential diplomats from Myanmar
The civilian death toll from the Myanmar military’s crackdown has now passed 520, with world powers ramping up their condemnation of the military’s campaign in the wake of its February 1 coup. – AFP pic, March 31, 2021

WASHINGTON – The United States State Department has ordered the departure of non-essential diplomats from Myanmar, it said in a statement yesterday, amid a crackdown on protesters that has killed hundreds since the country’s military coup began.

Daily rallies across Myanmar by unarmed demonstrators demanding the restoration of the elected government and the release of civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi have been met with tear gas, rubber bullets, and live rounds.

“The Burmese military has detained and deposed elected government officials. Protests and demonstrations against military rule have occurred and are expected to continue,” the State Department said in a statement, using Myanmar’s former name of Burma.

In mid-February, the State Department authorised a “voluntary departure of non-emergency US government employees and their family members,” the statement said, adding that the department had “updated that status to ordered departure”.

The civilian death toll from the military’s crackdown has now passed 520, with world powers ramping up their condemnation of the military’s campaign in the wake of its February 1 coup.

“The State Department made the decision to authorise ordered departure from Burma because the safety and security of US government personnel and their dependents, as well as private US citizens is the department’s highest priority,” a spokesman said.

The ordered departure status will be reviewed in 30-day increments, the spokesman added.

The US, Britain, and the European Union have all imposed sanctions in response to the coup and crackdown, but so far diplomatic pressure has not persuaded the generals to ease off. – AFP, March 31, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Malaysia / 9mth

Deceived by job offer, 19-year-old ends up as human trafficking victim

Opinion / 1y

Anwar Ibrahim and a nation in transition

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured