World

US lifts Trump sanctions on Hague prosecutor

Washington’s top diplomat says seeking cooperation, but, reiterates firm opposition to Afghanistan, Israel probe

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Apr 2021 1:30PM

US lifts Trump sanctions on Hague prosecutor
Gambian-born chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court Fatou Bensouda was placed under sanctions by the previous Trump administration, but those measures have now been overturned by the new leadership in the White House. – International Criminal Court Twitter pic, April 3, 2021

WASHINGTON – US President Joe Biden yesterday revoked sanctions imposed by Donald Trump on the top prosecutor of the International Criminal Court as the new administration seeks a more cooperative approach, resolving an intense disagreement with European allies.

Former secretary of state Mike Pompeo last year denounced the “kangaroo court” in The Hague and imposed both financial sanctions and a US visa ban on its Gambian-born chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda.

Pompeo acted after she launched an investigation into alleged war crimes by US military personnel in Afghanistan.

The court in The Hague further annoyed the United States by opening an investigation into alleged war crimes in the Palestinian territories by Israel, a US ally which rejects the authority of the court.

Pompeo’s successor, Antony Blinken, said the United States continued to “disagree strongly” with the moves on Afghanistan and Israel.

“We believe, however, that our concerns about these cases would be better addressed through engagement with all stakeholders in the ICC process rather than through the imposition of sanctions,” Blinken said in a statement.

Biden revoked an executive order by Trump on the sanctions, also lifting sanctions against senior ICC official Phakiso Mochochoko and visa bans on other court staff.

Bensouda is leaving her job in June and will be replaced by British human rights lawyer Karim Khan, who now can open his work without the burden of looming sanctions.

‘Start of a new phase’

Silvia Fernandez de Gurmendi, the head of the Association of States Parties to the ICC, voiced hope that the decision “signals the start of a new phase of our common undertaking to fight against impunity” for war crimes.

Blinken said he was encouraged by reforms being undertaken by the court, which has also come under scrutiny over internal matters including judges’ salaries.

He noted that the United States has supported specific international judicial initiatives to provide accountability for war crimes or crimes against humanity including in the Balkans, Cambodia and Rwanda.

“Our support for the rule of law, access to justice and accountability for mass atrocities are important US national security interests that are protected and advanced by engaging with the rest of the world to meet the challenges of today and tomorrow,” Blinken said.

Blinken announced the decision days before the administration needed to respond to a lawsuit against Trump’s executive order filed by the Open Society Justice Initiative, which promotes human rights and democracy.

Trump in his final weeks in office granted clemency to three US troops convicted of crimes in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, with one of the men later meeting him.

Critics said Trump’s intervention undercut his argument in the ICC sanctions – that the United States had its own judiciary capable of ensuring accountability.

While Democratic administrations have been more supportive of the ICC, the United States remains out of the Rome Statute that established the tribunal with little prospect of it joining amid intense opposition from the Republicans.

The US Congress in 2002 even passed a law authorizing military force to free any US personnel held by the court, theoretically giving the president authority to invade NATO ally The Netherlands. – AFP, April 3, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Malaysia / 3w

Racial politics or stability and economic growth? Voters must decide, says Penang CM

Malaysia / 3w

Politics of race and religion are unsustainable, says Amanah VP

Malaysia / 4w

A tragic crash, and the ugly rush to judge by race

Malaysia / 4w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse