World

Only pilgrims immunised against Covid-19 to be allowed in Mecca

Saudi Arabia details requirements for umrah permits with new policy, to begin with Ramadan

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 06 Apr 2021 7:30AM

Only pilgrims immunised against Covid-19 to be allowed in Mecca
The operational capacity of Masjid al-Haram in Mecca will be raised with Saudi Arabia’s new ruling on admittance of those immunised against Covid-19, whether by vaccination or recovery. – Pixabay pic, April 6, 2021

RIYADH – Saudi authorities said yesterday only those immunised against Covid-19 will be allowed to perform the year-round umrah pilgrimage from the start of Ramadan, the holy fasting month for Muslims.

Its Hajj and Umrah Ministry said in a statement that three categories of people would be considered “immunised” – those who have received two doses of the vaccine, those administered with a single dose at least 14 days prior, and those who have recovered from the infection.

Only these people will be eligible for permits to perform umrah, as well as to attend prayers at Masjid al-Haram in the holy city of Mecca.

The policy will effectively “raise the operational capacity” of the Grand Mosque during Ramadan, it said, adding that the condition also applies for entry into the Prophet’s Mosque in the holy city of Medina.

The ministry said the policy starts with Ramadan, which is due to begin later this month, but it is unclear how long it would last.

It is also not clear whether the policy, which comes amid an uptick in coronavirus infections in the kingdom, would be extended to the annual hajj pilgrimage later this year.

Saudi Arabia has reported more than 393,000 coronavirus infections and 6,700 deaths from Covid-19.

The kingdom’s Health Ministry said it has administered more than five million coronavirus vaccine doses, in a country with a population of over 34 million.

Downsized hajj

The announcement comes after King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud replaced the hajj minister last month, less than a year after the kingdom hosted the smallest hajj in modern history due to the pandemic.

Mohammad Benten was relieved from his post and replaced by Essam bin Saeed, according to a royal decree published by Saudi Press Agency.

In late July last year, the kingdom hosted a downsized hajj pilgrimage, one of the five pillars of Islam and a must for able-bodied Muslims at least once in their lifetimes. 

Only up to 10,000 Muslim residents of Saudi Arabia itself were allowed to take part, a far cry from the 2.5 million Muslims from around the world who participated in 2019.

It is unclear how many pilgrims will be allowed for hajj this year.

According to the pro-government Okaz newspaper, only vaccinated pilgrims will likely be permitted this year.

In a relaxation of coronavirus curbs last October, Saudi Arabia opened the Grand Mosque for prayers for the first time in seven months and partially resumed the umrah pilgrimage.

The umrah, a pilgrimage that can be undertaken at any time, usually attracts millions of Muslims from across the globe each year.

Authorities said the umrah will be allowed to return to full capacity once the threat of the pandemic has abated.

Saudi Arabia’s custodianship of Mecca and Medina – Islam’s two holiest sites – is seen as its most powerful source of the monarchy’s political legitimacy.  

The holy sites are also a key revenue earner for the kingdom, whose economy has been badly hit by the pandemic. – AFP, April 6, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1mth

Modernity beyond the West? What Saudi Arabia is really testing

World / 1mth

Saudi Aramco helicopter crash kills 14 nationals (video)

Malaysia / 6mth

'I personally heard King Abdullah promise donations to Najib' - Jamil Khir

Malaysia / 7mth

Nadia Kesuma was found to have left Saudi Arabia

People / 7mth

Malaysian actress Nadia Kesuma goes missing after arriving in Jeddah (Updated)

Malaysia / 8mth

Akmal postpones Hajj trip, donates RM120,000 to help child in need

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations