World

Iran releases seized S. Korean tanker: Seoul

Ship safely on its way, says South Korea

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Apr 2021 12:30PM

Iran releases seized S. Korean tanker: Seoul
This South Korean Foreign Ministry handout photo from February shows a Seoul official (left, centre) meeting with crew members of the Iranian-seized Hankuk Chemi tanker. – AFP pic, April 9, 2021

SEOUL – Iran today released a South Korean-flagged tanker it seized amid a dispute over billions in frozen oil funds, and the vessel’s captain, the foreign ministry in Seoul said.

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps seized the Hankuk Chemi and its multinational crew of 20 sailors in January, but South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement that its detention had been lifted and “the ship departed safely today”.

At the time of the seizure Tehran accused the vessel of “repeated infringement of maritime environmental laws”.

The move came after Tehran had urged Seoul to release billions of dollars of Iranian assets frozen in South Korea under US sanctions over its nuclear programme.

Tehran said in February that all the crew except the captain would be allowed to leave the country as a humanitarian gesture, but most of them remained on board to maintain the ship.

Iran was a key oil supplier to resource-poor South Korea until Washington’s rules blocked the purchases, and Tehran says it has a total of US$7 billion (RM29 billion) of funds blocked in Seoul.

South Korea had said in February it agreed on a way forward to release billions of dollars frozen from Iran’s oil sales – but was awaiting Washington’s approval.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken last month signalled Washington would be opposed to releasing the money unless the Islamic republic returned to full compliance with the nuclear accord that the United States withdrew from under president Donald Trump.

South Korea’s Foreign Ministry made no mention of the funds in its statement Friday.

But multiple South Korean media reports say Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun will visit Tehran soon, without giving a date for the trip.

Tehran has repeatedly denied that the seizure of the vessel was linked to the funds issue.

The Hankuk Chemi incident was the first seizure of a major vessel by Iran’s naval forces in more than a year.

In July 2019, the Guards seized the British-flagged oil tanker Stena Impero in the Strait of Hormuz for allegedly ramming a fishing boat. They released it two months later.

At the time it was widely seen as a tit-for-tat move after authorities in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar detained an Iranian tanker and later released it, despite US objections.

Tehran denied the two cases were related.

The Guards seized at least six other ships in 2019 over alleged fuel smuggling. – AFP, April 9, 2021

Related News

World / 3d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World / 4d

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

Malaysia / 1w

Tanker lorry driver in fatal crash remanded four days

Opinion / 1mth

Has the sleeping giant been awakened with a terrible resolve?

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

Opinion / 1mth

US attacks in the Gulf show the weaknesses of MOUs

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations