World

Beijing forces accused of chasing Philippine TV crew in South China Sea

Philippine armed forces investigating matter amid increased tensions over resource-rich waters

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Apr 2021 7:30PM

Beijing forces accused of chasing Philippine TV crew in South China Sea
A view of the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, which is claimed in almost its entirety by Beijing. – AFP pic, April 9, 2021

MANILA – The Philippine armed forces today said it is investigating a report that Chinese military boats pursued a civilian vessel carrying Filipino journalists in the disputed South China Sea.

A television crew from Philippine broadcaster ABS-CBN was travelling to Second Thomas Shoal in the contested Spratly Islands yesterday when their vessel was allegedly chased by a Chinese coast guard boat and two attack craft.

Tensions over the resource-rich waters have spiked in recent weeks after hundreds of Chinese vessels were detected at Whitsun Reef, which is also in the Spratly archipelago.

China, which claims almost the entirety of the sea, has refused repeated appeals by the Philippines to withdraw the vessels, which Manila said unlawfully entered its exclusive economic zone (EEZ).

“The (armed forces) express concern over a report on alleged harassment by Chinese navy vessels and a Chinese coast guard vessel, as reported by a team of journalist(s) on board a watercraft within our EEZ,” said armed forces spokesman Maj Gen Edgard Arevalo.

‘Through the (armed forces’) Western Command, we are conducting an investigation and verification to establish what transpired.” 

ABS-CBN said the vessel carrying its TV crew was asked by a Chinese coast guard boat to identify itself.

The Filipino boat turned around and the Chinese vessel gave chase, it said.

“CCG 5101 slowed down and turned away after an hour to the relief of the Filipino crew, who, by this time, had been following a straight path back to mainland Palawan,” it said, referring to a western Philippine island.

“However, two smaller, faster vessels emerged in the horizon, apparently giving chase to the Filipino boat.

“Within minutes, the unique shape and design of the Houbei Type 22 missile fast-attack craft became visible. The two missile-capable boats resumed the chase.”

Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin – whose department recently vowed to lodge a daily diplomatic protest until China withdraws its vessels from Philippine waters – said the report is “worrisome”. 

“It seems – please verify – ABS-CBN crew weren’t in a boat they hired (inviting risk) but in a passenger boat,” he tweeted.

“Now that’s a whole other banana; the state is sworn to protect the Philippine public. And you don’t give chase; you use your bullhorn to warn off.”

In a phone call today, Locsin and his United States counterpart, Antony Blinken, expressed concern over the presence of Chinese “maritime militia vessels in the South China Sea, including at Whitsun Reef”, according to a US State Department readout. 

The US reminded China on Wednesday of Washington’s treaty obligations to the Philippines in the event of an attack in the waters.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian today said the US should “stop sowing discord” and allow regional countries to settle “their differences between themselves”. – AFP, April 9, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 9h

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

Malaysia / 4d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 4d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Malaysia / 4w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China