World

Myanmar youth fight internet outages with underground newsletter

Molotov created as response to those who slow down flow of information, says founder

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Apr 2021 9:30PM

Myanmar youth fight internet outages with underground newsletter
Lynn Thant, not his real name, started the underground newsletter and gave it the edgy name Molotov to appeal to young people. – AFP pic, April 11, 2021

YANGON – Myanmar youth are fighting the junta’s internet shutdown and information suppression with an explosive underground printed newsletter secretly distributed across communities.

For 56 days straight, there have been internet outages in coup-hit Myanmar, according to monitoring group NetBlocks.

The country has been in turmoil since democratically-elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi was ousted in a February 1 coup, triggering a mass uprising that has resulted in a brutal security crackdown and more than 700 civilian deaths.

Lynn Thant, not his real name, started the underground newsletter and gave it the edgy name Molotov to appeal to young people.

“This is our response to those who slow down the flow of information – and that’s a threat to us,” the 30-year-old said.

Thousands of readers across the country are downloading the PDF version of the publication, and printing out and distributing physical copies across neighbourhoods in Yangon and Mandalay and other areas.

Lynn Thant is conscious of the risks involved.

Police and soldiers arrested more than 3,000 people since the putsch, according to local monitoring group Assistance Association for Political Prisoners.

About 180 high profile celebrities, including actors, singers and social media influencers, are on an arrest warrant list and could face three years’ jail if convicted of spreading dissent against the military.

“If we write revolutionary literature and distribute it like this, we could end up in prison for many years,” he said, his face concealed by one of the Guy Fawkes masks popularised by the dystopian movie V for Vendetta.

“Even if one of us is arrested, there are young people who will carry on producing the Molotov newsletter. Even if one of us is killed, someone else will come up when someone falls.

“This Molotov newsletter will continue to exist until the revolution is successful.”

He said the publication has a reach of more than 30,000 people on Facebook, so far, and the main audience is Generation Z activists.

Copies of the newsletter are also being distributed under the radar at produce markets.

Myanmar lived under military rule for 49 years before it transitioned to democracy in 2011.

The country has a long history of underground publications attempting to circumvent junta suppression.

Independent media is under threat, with 64 journalists arrested since the coup and 33 still in detention, according to monitoring group Reporting Asean.

The junta has also revoked the licences of five media outlets. – AFP, April 11, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 1mth

DOSM: May unemployment rate remains at 3 per cent

Malaysia / 1mth

Johor polls enter tight, calculated phase amid youth vote focus, shifting alliances

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war