World

Qatar wants all 2022 World Cup attendees vaccinated against Covid-19

Gulf nation in talks with jab producers to ensure goal is met

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 17 Apr 2021 8:08AM

Qatar wants all 2022 World Cup attendees vaccinated against Covid-19
FIFA boss Gianni Infantino says measures to contain the coronavirus will need to be taken for the 2022 World Cup, but does not provide details. – Pixabay pic, April 17, 2021

DOHA – Qatar is in talks with Covid-19 vaccine makers to ensure all fans attending the 2022 World Cup in the country are immunised, said the foreign minister yesterday.

The Gulf nation is facing a resurgence in coronavirus cases and deaths despite progress in its mass vaccination programme, forcing authorities to impose a nationwide lockdown.

“We have been negotiating and talking to vaccination providers on how we can make sure that everyone attending the World Cup is vaccinated,” said Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed Abdulrahman Al-Thani. 

“Right now, there are programmes under development to provide vaccination to all attendees of the World Cup,” he told the Raisina Dialogue, a virtual event hosted by the Observer Research Foundation.

“We will be able, hopefully, to host a Covid-19-free event. We also hope that globally, the pandemic will start to go down and disappear.”

Worldwide, no one vaccine certification system has been universally accepted or recognised, though the International Air Transport Association Travel Pass has gained popularity among Gulf airlines including Qatar Airways.

As of yesterday, 194,930 of Qatar’s 2.75 million people have tested positive for Covid-19 since the pandemic began, with 21,965 cases currently active – almost 1% of the population.

Over 26,000 vaccine jabs were administered yesterday, bringing the total to 1,209,648 doses, according to official data.

One in five of the 367 deaths Qatar has suffered since the start of the outbreak was reported this month, with officials blaming the more virulent British variant. 

Last week, Qatar announced the reimposition of strict lockdown measures, banning most indoor activities except retail and work in an effort to contain the disease.

The country has defied soaring case numbers to stage several global sporting events in recent months, serving as a test bed for different restrictions, but also suffering high-profile infections.

The wealthy Gulf nation has bucked the trend of more established sporting nations that have cancelled or postponed a slew of leading events, instead hosting football, tennis, motorcycling, judo and beach volleyball since January.

FIFA boss Gianni Infantino previously said measures to contain the virus will need to be taken during the 2022 tournament, but did not given details.

“Maybe, some precautionary measures have to be taken,” he told AFP during the FIFA Club World Cup in Doha in February.

As well as saying unspecified distancing measures may still be in place for next year’s World Cup, Infantino suggested that FIFA could “concretely” help travelling fans from countries with patchy vaccine roll-outs.

“We need to see how the situation looks by then. It’s very difficult to foresee now.

“It will take a little bit of time, and we have two years to come back to some sort of normality.” – AFP, April 17, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

Joe Zakaria attack: Questions emerge over safety of voices challenging Malaysian football status quo

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 2mth

Luxury MPV belonging to national football player seized by RTD

Malaysia / 4mth

Global energy crisis may take five years to recover – PM

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Sports & Fitness / 6mth

Tengku Amir Shah not interested in FAM top job

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest