World

Duterte prepared to deploy navy over South China Sea claim

When we start to mine... I will send my grey ships there to state a claim, says Philippines president

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Apr 2021 11:59PM

Duterte prepared to deploy navy over South China Sea claim
A Philippine flag displayed aboard a coast guard rubber boat as they patrol past Chinese vessels on the waters of Whitsun Reef, in the Spratly Islands last week. – EPA pic, April 20, 2021

MANILA – Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said he is willing to deploy military ships to the South China Sea to assert the country’s claim over oil deposits in a contested part of the waterway.

Duterte, who has embraced China since taking power in 2016, has faced growing domestic criticism for his reluctance to confront Beijing over its activities in Philippine-claimed waters. 

Tensions spiked last month after hundreds of Chinese vessels were detected at Whitsun Reef in the Spratly Islands, which are contested by several countries, including the Philippines and China.

Beijing has refused repeated demands by the Philippines to call back the ships, which Manila says are maritime militia vessels and China says are fishing boats.

“I’m not so much interested now in fishing. I don’t think there’s enough fish really to quarrel about,” Duterte said Monday. 

“But when we start to mine, when we start to get whatever it is in the bowels of the China sea, our oil, then by that time... I will send my grey ships there to state a claim,” he said, while also emphasising his desire “to remain friends” and “share whatever it is”.

Duterte spoke the day after top military leadership rejected a rumour that a social media group involving members of the armed forces had demanded the president denounce China or they would no longer support him as their commander in chief.

Beijing asserts sovereignty over almost all of the waterway, which is believed to hold rich deposits of natural resources.

In 2016, a UN-backed tribunal rejected its claims. Beijing has ignored the ruling.

Duterte has repeatedly said conflict with China would be futile, and yesterday warned of “bloodshed” if the Philippines tried to take back the waters.

Renewed tension in the region has alarmed several countries. 

The United States, a key military ally of the Philippines and its former colonial ruler, recently reminded China of its treaty obligations to Manila.

The dispute comes as the Philippines receives millions of doses of Covid-19 jabs from China’s Sinovac – many of them donated.

The jabs have underpinned the country’s inoculation efforts as it waits for the delivery of vaccines from Russia and the West. – AFP, April 20, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 13h

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

Malaysia / 4d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 4d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Malaysia / 4w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China