World

Philippines lifts ban on oil and gas exploration in South China Sea

The resumption of energy exploration would also help boost the country's economy, as well as possibly spur Chinese investment

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 16 Oct 2020 6:00PM

Philippines lifts ban on oil and gas exploration in South China Sea
The lifting of the suspension also comes as the Philippines faces dwindling energy reserves. – The Vibes pic, October 16, 2020

MANILA – The Philippines has lifted a moratorium on oil and gas exploration in the disputed South China Sea, which the government said Friday could fast-track talks with Beijing on a joint energy project.

Drilling off the Philippines was halted in 2014 amid an escalating row with China over its rival claim to areas of the waterway that are believed to hold rich deposits of natural resources.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, who took office in 2016, has softened his predecessors' opposition to Beijing's claims and in 2018 the two countries began talks to jointly explore the contested waters.

"Now that the moratorium is lifted, I'm sure that will expedite the discussions," Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi told reporters Friday.

The decision to restart exploration and development activities had been "unilateral", Cusi said, but added Beijing had not been informed ahead of the government's decision.

China's embassy in Manila did not respond to a request for comment from AFP.

The lifting of the suspension also comes as the Philippines faces dwindling energy reserves.

Malampaya gas field, which supplies about 40% of power to the archipelago's main island Luzon, is expected to run dry within a few years.

Beijing asserts sovereignty over almost all of the South China Sea, but in 2016 a UN-backed tribunal acting on a case brought by then-Philippine leader Benigno Aquino rejected its claims.

Local companies previously involved in three drilling projects off Palawan province in the western Philippines have been told to resume work, Cusi said.

One of the areas now permitted for exploration is Reed Bank, where Philippine energy companies operating prior to the 2014 moratorium had complained of harrassment from Chinese vessels.

Cusi said the resumption of exploration activities in the region would also help boost the country's economy, which has been ravaged by the coronavirus pandemic. 

Millions have lost work and around 350,000 people have been infected since the outbreak began.

"The lifting (of the suspension) will help prime up our economy," the energy minister said, adding it would "help in generating investments."

But despite government claims the move would facilitate cooperation with China, one analyst said it suggested the Philippines was increasingly willing to assert its sovereign rights over the area.

"It creates some leverage on our part to show that we're serious about exercising our own legitimate jurisdiction over these resources," said Jay Batongbacal, director of the University of the Philippines' Institute for Maritime Affairs and Law of the Sea. – AFP, October 16, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 1d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 1d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 3w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Tech / 1mth

Penang’s Tech Dome celebrates 10th anniversary with opening of new space gallery

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen