World

Dinner off as Italy closes restaurants early in virus crackdown

Cinemas, theatres, gyms and swimming pools must close until Nov 24

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 26 Oct 2020 9:00AM

Dinner off as Italy closes restaurants early in virus crackdown
Italy will have tighter restrictions after recording high numbers of new cases. Restaurants and bars will stop serving at 6pm while cinemas, theatres, gyms and swimming pools will have to close. – AFP file pic, October 26, 2020

ROME – Italy’s Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte tightened nationwide coronavirus restrictions yesterday after the country registered a record number of new cases, despite opposition from regional heads and street protests.

Cinemas, theatres, gyms and swimming pools must all close under the new rules, which come into force on Monday and run until November 24. Restaurants and bars will stop serving at 6pm (1am Malaysian time), Conte’s office said.

Italy, which was the first European country to be hit hard by the pandemic and impose a nationwide lockdown, on Sunday registered 21,273 new cases.

“The aim is clear: to keep the contagion curve under control, because that is the only way can we manage the pandemic without being overwhelmed by it,” Conte told a press conference.

It was imperative Italy act now to avoid a second full lockdown, which “the country can no longer afford,” he said.

Schools and nurseries will remain open, although up to 75 percent of classes for high schools and universities will move online. People have been urged to avoid using public transport or travelling beyond their own communities.

“This is going to destroy us,” said Augusto D’Alfonsi, who owns the Torricella family-run fish restaurant in Rome.

“We’ve already lost 50% of our customers this year. Without government aid, we’re done for.”

‘Tiredness, anger, frustration’

The new measures were introduced just hours after dozens of far-right protesters in Rome clashed with riot police during a demonstration against the region’s curfew, setting off fireworks, burning bins and throwing projectiles.

Some 200 masked militants belonging to the neo-fascist group Forza Nuova lead the skirmish in a second night of street protests, after hundreds of demonstrators clashed with officers in Naples further south over the curfew there.

Several regions have imposed overnight curfews in a bid to slow-rising Covid-19 infection numbers. Piedmont in the north and Sicily in the south will follow this week.

Regional leaders had warned that closing businesses would exacerbate social tensions as the country struggles to emerge from its worst post-war recession, sparked by the two-month shutdown earlier this year.

Giuseppe Spadafora, deputy president of business lobby Unimpresa, said the “anger could explode in the coming days and weeks, becoming difficult to control”.

Conte, however, has been under intense pressure from scientists to do more to curb contagion.

“It is a complex moment, there’s a lot of tiredness in the country.

“The pandemic is severely challenging us, it provokes anger, frustration. It’s also creating new inequalities, on top of the existing ones,” he said.

‘Psychological terrorism’

Cosimo Romano, a 23-year old real estate agent in Milan, said closing “non-essential” services was “better than a new two-month lockdown”.

But Vanessa Musai, 48, a bartender in Savona, northwest Italy, said she was “ashamed to be Italian”, accusing the government of “psychological terrorism”.

Conte said he too “would feel angry over government measures” as an ordinary citizen, though “I would wait to see the economic support, which will be substantial”.

He also warned against “giving room to those who specialise in protests and social disorder”, after the far-right demonstration in Rome and reports the Naples protest was orchestrated by organised crime.

The World Health Organisation’s Italian government adviser Walter Ricciardi told the Messaggero daily the country was “paying the consequences” of regional governments failing to prepare for a second wave.

“We only have a few weeks to intervene. We need local, even regional lockdowns. The curfew does not work”.

Italy has now registered over 525,000 cases and more than 37,000 deaths, according to health ministry figures.

More than 100 scientists urged the government to act this week after physicist Giorgio Parisi said that without new measures there would be 500 Covid-19 deaths a day in Italy by November, given the speed of the virus’ spread.

“In March we were about to be hit by a lorry going 130km an hour. Today it’s travelling towards us at 60km an hour,” he told the Repubblica newspaper on Saturday.

“We have time to dodge it but if we don’t, even if it’s travelling more slowly, it will kill us all the same”. – AFP, October 26, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

World / 6mth

Man's body believed to have been eaten by his 3 pet pit bulls

Opinion / 9mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

World / 1y

Speculations grow over who will be new Pope as cardinals gather for secret election

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)