World

N.Korea blames Seoul's ‘improper control’ for death of fisheries official

Pyongyang has previously admitted that around 10 rounds were fired at the man

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Oct 2020 12:00PM

N.Korea blames Seoul's ‘improper control’ for death of fisheries official
The killing prompted fury in Seoul and a rare apology from Kim Jong-un. – Pixabay pic, October 30, 2020

SEOUL – North Korea on Friday placed blame for its killing last month of a South Korean fisheries official on Seoul's "improper control of the citizen".

The incident, which occurred when troops shot the official after he drifted into North Korea's waters "was the result of improper control of the citizen by the south side in the sensitive hotspot", particularly during tensions over the coronavirus pandemic, state-run news agency KCNA said.

"Therefore, the blame for the incident first rests with the south side. This is our invariable stand," it added.

Pyongyang has previously acknowledged that around 10 rounds were fired at the man, and that he was not visible after the shooting.

The killing prompted fury in Seoul and a rare apology from North Korean leader Kim Jong-un who said through his national security adviser that he was "very sorry" for the "unexpected and disgraceful event".

South Korean military officials say the man was interrogated while in the water for several hours and expressed a desire to defect, but was killed after an "order from superior authority".

They also said North Koreans poured oil over his body and burnt it, although Pyongyang maintains the official's flotation device was set on fire in accordance with emergency coronavirus regulations.

In Friday's statement, KCNA said that "since then we have tried our best to retrieve the dead body from the waters of the West Sea and return it to his family, but to no avail, to our regret."

Analysts say the North is looking to placate its neighbour after the shooting – the first time its forces have killed a Southern citizen in a decade.

That sentiment was echoed again on Friday.

"We do not want to see the repetition of any unpleasant precedents in which accidental incidents led the north-south relations to a catastrophe. This is our stand," the KCNA message said.

"We are regretful for this and have decided to take sustained necessary measures in the future, too, in the relevant field," it added.

But, it said, Seoul had gone on to participate in "unsavory acts of insulting our good faith and aiming at maximizing distrust".

Following the incident, "all sorts of slandering against the DPRK has gone beyond the tolerance", it said, using an acronym for North Korea.

The message comes with inter-Korean ties in a deep freeze, and amid a standoff in nuclear negotiations between Pyongyang and Washington. – AFP, October 30, 2020

Related News

Opinion / 10mth

Engaging the uncomfortable: Dialogues include speaking to those who disagree

World / 2y

Australia swift to cash in on new era of trade with Asean

Malaysia / 2y

US démarche inquiry, not threat: Wan Fayhsal

Business / 3y

Vietnam seeks to boost halal industry cooperation with M’sia

Business / 3y

Complementarities of India-Malaysia economies offer various cooperation opportunities

Malaysia / 3y

Be more creative in attracting foreign investment, PM tells diplomats

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates