World

Philippines orders 200,000 to evacuate as Typhoon Goni nears

Because of Covid-19 five people will be allowed to shelter in a single school room that previously would have held 16

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 31 Oct 2020 3:00PM

Philippines orders 200,000 to evacuate as Typhoon Goni nears
A week earlier Typhoon Molave slammed into the same region, killing 22 people and flooding low-lying villages and farmland. - AFP pic, October 31, 2020

MANILA – More than 200,000 people in the Philippines were ordered to evacuate their homes Saturday as the most powerful typhoon of the year so far barrels towards the country, with authorities warning of "destructive" winds and storm surges.

Typhoon Goni is expected to graze the southeastern tip of the main island of Luzon early Sunday before making landfall in the afternoon with wind speeds of up to 205 kph, the state weather forecaster said. 

It comes a week after Typhoon Molave slammed into the same region, killing 22 people and flooding low-lying villages and farmland, before sweeping across the South China Sea to Vietnam. 

Schools which have been empty since the start of the coronavirus pandemic will be used as emergency shelters as well as government-run evacuation centres and gymnasiums. 

"It looks like we will have really strong winds, increasing the chances of widespread flooding and landslides," Mark Timbal, spokesman for the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, told local broadcaster ABS-CBN.

"Storm surges are imminent on our east coast. We are monitoring Mayon and Taal volcanos for possible volcanic mud flows."

Authorities on Saturday ramped up preparations in the Bicol region southeast of Manila, marshalling rescue vehicles, emergency response teams and relief goods ahead of the typhoon.

The weather service has warned of a "moderate to high risk" of storm surges up to three metres high along the east coast over the next two days.  

"Violent winds and intense rainfall" are expected that could trigger flooding and landslides in a region of more than 20 million people, it said. 

"Evacuating people is more difficult at this time because of Covid-19," regional civil defence spokesman Alexis Naz told AFP.

More than 200,000 people have been told to seek shelter in the Bicol region with evacuations also expected in other areas.

A maximum of five people will be allowed to shelter in a single school room that previously would have held 16, Naz said, adding that the natural disaster-prone region had enough facilities.

Hundreds of people have been left stranded after the coastguard ordered ferries and fishing boats into port in expectation of rough seas throwing up 15m waves.

The Philippines is hit by an average of 20 storms and typhoons every year, which typically wipe out harvests, homes and infrastructure, keeping millions of people perennially poor.

Its deadliest on record was Super Typhoon Haiyan, which unleashed giant waves on the central city of Tacloban and left more than 7,300 people dead or missing in 2013. – AFP, October 31, 2020

Related News

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Opinion / 2mth

ASEAN’s renaissance: A new lease of life in the multipolar world

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar proposes ASEAN food security standby arrangement during crises

Malaysia / 4mth

Petronas denies involvement in reported diesel shipment to Philippines

Malaysia / 4mth

Sabah claim frequently used as political polemic in Philippines - Hajiji

Malaysia / 5mth

Farm Fresh confirms farm director killed in helicopter crash in Philippines

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut