World

China’s once-a-decade census kicks off

Data-collection effort will take 2 months to complete

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Nov 2020 9:00PM

China’s once-a-decade census kicks off
A census worker using a mobile app to collect information from a resident in Qingdao, Shandong province, today. The previous tally in 2010 counted 1,339,724,852 persons, an increase of 5.83%. – AFP pic, November 1, 2020

SHANGHAI – Millions of census-takers began knocking on doors across China today for a once-a-decade head count of the world’s largest population that, for the first time, will use mobile apps to help crunch the massive numbers.

Around seven million community workers and volunteers will drive the two-month data-collection effort, visiting homes ranging from residential skyscrapers here to remote Tibetan mountain villages.

China conducts the census every 10 years to determine population growth, movement patterns and other trends, using the findings to apportion resources for education, health, transportation, labour, elderly care and other services.

The previous tally in 2010 counted 1,339,724,852 persons, an increase of 5.83%, or 73,899,804 people – equal to adding more than the population of France over 10 years.

Much of the attention on this year’s census – expected to take two years to fully compile – will focus on whether it indicates any population bump from China’s relaxation of its former “one-child policy”.

The policy was introduced in the late 1970s to slow rapid population growth amid concerns about too many mouths to feed, but was relaxed four years ago to allow two children due to fears over China’s fast-ageing society and shrinking workforce.

But, the change has not yet resulted in a baby boom.

The national birth rate last year was the slowest since the founding of Communist-ruled China in 1949, with many Chinese today choosing smaller families amid rising living costs.

The government estimates the 2020 census could update the population to 1.42 billion, a 5.99% increase.

A research institute affiliated with real estate giant Evergrande Group last week issued a study saying the government figure is an overestimate, and recommended that three children be allowed.

“If adjustments are not made, it will seriously affect national rejuvenation and (China’s) rise as a great power,” said the researchers, citing two of the stated goals of powerful President Xi Jinping.

‘Big Brother’ fears

The study sparked a passionate online discussion, with many saying the real curbs on childbirth are rising costs and insufficient policy support for families.

“Even a 10-child policy is useless until we create a society that is childbirth-friendly and child-rearing-friendly,” said one widely “liked” comment on the WeChat platform of Chinese internet giant Tencent.

Demographic experts have estimated it could take 15 years for the two-child policy to have any noticeable effect as other modern factors mitigate against rapid growth, including increasingly empowered Chinese women delaying or avoiding childbirth, and the slower population growth that comes with rising national affluence.

Despite the door-to-door visits, most citizens are expected to enter their information via a smartphone app, adding to rising concerns about privacy protection.

Vast amounts of Chinese economic activity and payments are handled through digital apps such as WeChat and its rival Alipay, offered by the Alibaba-affiliated Ant Group.

Many consumers accept the resulting surrender of data on their buying habits, travel and other personal information as a small price to pay for digital conveniences.

But, others increasingly worry about privacy and data security, heightened this year with China’s introduction of a nationwide system of digital “health codes” that score citizens on whether they pose a potential coronavirus threat, and which must be shown to enter many public venues.

The National Statistics Bureau, which oversees the census, vowed in May that all personal data gathered during the process will be kept strictly confidential and used for no other purpose than the census.

The government in mid-October separately unveiled a draft personal data protection law, which outlines stiff punishments for violators. – AFP, November 1, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 1d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 1d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 3w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Tech / 1mth

Penang’s Tech Dome celebrates 10th anniversary with opening of new space gallery

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut