World

Israeli army destroys Palestinian village in Jordan Valley

A man who was left homeless said the Israeli army gave people 10 minutes to evacuate their homes

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 04 Nov 2020 9:00PM

Israeli army destroys Palestinian village in Jordan Valley
A Palestinian checks a destroyed solar panel after Israeli soldiers demolished Bedouin tents and structures in an area east of the village of Tubas, in the occupied West Bank, on November 3. – AFP pic, November 4, 2020

TUBAS – Israel's army has demolished the homes of nearly 80 Palestinian Bedouins in the occupied West Bank, officials and witnesses said Wednesday, in a rare operation targeting an entire community at once. 

Late Tuesday, Israeli bulldozers razed the village – including tents, sheds, portable toilets and solar panels – near Tubas in the Jordan Valley, according to an AFP photographer at the scene, who found dozens of people left homeless.

Palestinian prime minister Mohammed Shtayyeh accused Israeli troops of having "completely demolished the village of Homsa al-Baqia, leaving around 80 people homeless".

The branch of Israel's army responsible for civilian affairs in the West Bank, Cogat, said it had destroyed structures "built illegally in a firing zone (military training area) in the Jordan Valley".

The Jordan Valley falls in the West Bank's Area C that is fully controlled by Israel's army, which has occupied the West Bank since 1967.  

Under Israeli rules, Palestinians cannot build structures in the area without permits, which are typically refused, and demolitions are common. 

According to Abdelghani Awada, left homeless by the operation, the Israelis who arrived in vehicles and with bulldozers gave people "10 minutes to evacuate our homes".

"Then they started bulldozing," he told AFP. 

He stressed that his family had lived in the area for generations and accused Israel of trying to "empty the Jordan Valley of its Palestinian population".

The late-night operation in Homsa al-Baqia was unusual given that so many homes were targeted at the same time, according to the Israeli anti-occupation non-government organisation B'Tselem. 

"The wiping off of a whole community at once is extremely rare, and it seems like Israel was making use of the fact that everyone's attention is currently set elsewhere to move forward with this inhumane act," B'Tselem said in a statement sent to AFP, referring to the US presidential election. 

In a separate statement B'Tselem said that "while the world deals with the coronavirus crisis, Israel has devoted time and effort to harassing Palestinians instead of helping... residents living under its control". 

B'Tselem, which tracks demolition data, said that 798 Palestinians in the West Bank have been left homeless by Israeli demolitions so far this year. 

That is already the highest annual tally since 2016, the year the organisation began collecting such data.  – AFP, November 4, 2020 

Related News

Malaysia / 18h

Dr Mahathir slams Netanyahu over opposition to Palestinian state

Malaysia / 3w

KDN: Israeli travel documents not recognised for entry into Malaysia

Malaysia / 4w

US lawmakers urge review of Malaysia ties over Anwar’s Israel deportation remarks

Malaysia / 1mth

Network School postpones new investments in Malaysia, seeks government guarantee

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

Malaysia / 2mth

Malaysia commits to strengthening educational ties with Palestine

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates