World

Australian media on trial for alleged Pell gag-order breach

18 accused editorial staff members, who include reporters, editors and broadcasters, face potential prison sentences if found guilty

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Nov 2020 4:00PM

Australian media on trial for alleged Pell gag-order breach
Australian Cardinal George Pell gets into a car after landing at Rome's Fiumicino airport on September 30, returning for the first time since being acquitted of sexual abuse charges. – AFP pic, November 9, 2020

MELBOURNE – Australia's biggest news organisations and editorial staff members went on trial Monday on charges they breached a 2018 gag order on coverage of Cardinal George Pell's now-quashed sex crimes convictions.

Several of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp mastheads as well as former Fairfax group newspapers, now owned by broadcaster Nine, are among those who dispute that they breached the court order.

The 18 accused editorial staff members, who include reporters, editors and broadcasters, face potential prison sentences if found guilty of being in contempt of court, while the media companies could be slapped with fines.

All of the accused deny the charges.

A judge issued the suppression order in December 2018 to prevent news of Pell's convictions from prejudicing jurors in an expected second trial on child sex abuse charges that were subsequently dropped in early 2019.

But the order meant Pell's 2018 convictions for abusing two choirboys in the 1990s – which were overturned in April this year – initially could not be reported in Australia, including on the internet.

In opening the case Monday, prosecutor Lisa De Ferrari told the Victorian Supreme Court that US-based publications The Daily Beast and The Washington Post were among the first to break the news online.

Local media then ran cryptic articles saying they had been barred from reporting on a story of major public interest involving a high-profile Australian.

Melbourne's Herald Sun newspaper printed a black front page emblazoned with the word "CENSORED", saying "the world is reading a very important story that is relevant to Victorians".

De Ferrari said the coverage amounted to an "invitation to read" the news about Pell that had been published online by outlets outside Australia.

She also tendered as evidence emails between editors at Melbourne-based newspaper The Age debating the merits of publishing an article that explained why they could not report on the story.

"I am totally for a free press. However, I believe everyone should have the same legal protection when facing court," The Age's weekday print editor Selma Milovanovic wrote in objection.

In response, then-editor Alex Lavelle said: "There are those who would say that this is more evidence that the MSM (mainstream media) is irrelevant and we don't need them. 

"And there are people asking why we aren't reporting on this story."

Will Houghton, defence barrister for News Corp and its journalists, and Matt Collins, representing all other media including Nine, 2GB radio and lifestyle website Mamamia, are yet to present their arguments.

The judge-only trial, which is being held via video link due to coronavirus restrictions, is expected to last 10 to 15 days. – AFP, November 9, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia / 1d

Just accept the court decision – Ramkarpal tells Sanusi

Malaysia / 3d

Body found bound in net: Four charged with murder

Malaysia / 1w

Rosmah granted conditional stay on RM67.5m jewellery payment

Malaysia / 2w

Foreign management institute denies claims of any wrongdoing

Malaysia / 2w

Court orders police to probe foreign management institute

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates