World

Azeri troops enter Nagorno-Karabakh for first time in 30 years

Baku's foray into Aghdam comes after Russian-brokered peace deal sees Armenia give up land claims

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Nov 2020 6:15PM

Azeri troops enter Nagorno-Karabakh for first time in 30 years
A home destroyed by Azeri shelling in Stepanakert, the city previously held by Armenian separatists. – Twitter pic, November 20, 2020

BAKU – Azerbaijan said today its troops had entered a district bordering Nagorno-Karabakh after almost 30 years, as it was relinquished by Armenian separatists as part of a Russian-brokered peace deal which ended the brutal fighting in the region.

Troops moved into the district of Aghdam, one of three due to be handed back, the Azerbaijan defence ministry said, a day after columns of Armenian soldiers and tanks rolled out of the territory.

Armenia will also hand over the Kalbajar district wedged between Nagorno-Karabakh and Armenia on November 25 and the Lachin district by December 1. 

Yesterday Armenian residents of Aghdam hurriedly picked pomegranates and persimmons from trees surrounding their homes and packed vans with furniture, before fleeing ahead of the official deadline to cede the mountainous province.

Fierce clashes between Azerbaijan's forces and Armenian separatists broke out in late September in the Nagorno-Karabakh region. The brutal war lasted six weeks, leaving thousands dead and displacing many more.

The longstanding ex-Soviet rivals finally agreed to end hostilities last week under the framework of a Russian-brokered accord that sees Moscow deploy peacekeepers to the region and requires Armenia to cede swathes of territory.

Separatists in Nagorno-Karabakh and several surrounding districts captured the territory and claimed independence that has not been recognised internationally, even by Armenia, following a post-Soviet 1990s war that left some 30,000 dead.

As part of last week's peace deal, Armenia agreed to return some 15 to 20% of the Nagorno-Karabakh territory captured by Azerbaijan in recent fighting, including the historical town of Shusha. – AFP, November 20, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3y

Malaysians in Russia, Armenia, Belarus advised to stay vigilant

Business / 3y

M’sia urged to make Azerbaijan trade hub for neighbouring markets

World / 3y

EU mission to Armenia will fuel confrontation: Russia

World / 3y

Armenia PM criticises Moscow-led security bloc

World / 3y

Armenia, Azerbaijan hold US talks hours after new shootout

World / 3y

EU to help delineate Armenia, Azerbaijan borders

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline