World

Teen accused of killing 2 black protesters freed on bail

Allegations against right-winger ‘an interesting situation’, says US president

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 21 Nov 2020 12:30PM

Teen accused of killing 2 black protesters freed on bail

WASHINGTON – The 17-year-old right-wing extremist charged with shooting two people dead at a Black Lives Matter protest in the Midwestern US state of Wisconsin earlier this year was released after posting US$2 million (RM8.2 million) bail, one of his lawyers tweeted yesterday.

Kyle Rittenhouse “is out of jail”, Lin Wood said, adding special thanks to actor Ricky Schroder and My Pillow chief executive Mike Lindell, an ally of US President Donald Trump, for contributions which put them “over the top”.

Video footage shows a white man alleged to be Rittenhouse shooting dead the two protesters, named by The New York Times as Anthony Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum in Kenosha, Wisconsin in August. He badly wounded one other man.

Rittenhouse, described as being an enthusiast of right-wing militant groups in the US, reportedly went to the city to protect it from “rioters” during days of demonstrations against police brutality.

The protests had erupted after a black man, Jacob Blake, was shot multiple times in the back by a white officer at point-blank range, as his three young sons watched.

Blake survived, but doctors have said he may never walk again.

Blake's shooting came three months after the police killing of another African American, George Floyd, ignited the largest wave of civil unrest in the US in decades.

Protests in Kenosha began peacefully the night Blake was shot but descended into violence for several nights running.

It culminated August 25, when Rittenhouse is accused of taking his rifle to the streets.

Trump, who has a long history of readiness to court right-wing extremism, has expressed sympathy for Rittenhouse and called the allegations against him “an interesting situation”. – AFP, November 21, 2020

Related News

Business / 6h

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

World / 1d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

Malaysia / 4d

Body found bound in net: Four charged with murder

Malaysia / 1w

Grandmother charged with murdering step-granddaughter

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Malaysia / 2w

College student charged with causing death of newborn baby girl

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren