World

Spain’s Covid-19 strategy working, PM says

Pedro Sanchez says mass vaccination campaign will start next January

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Nov 2020 8:45AM

Spain’s Covid-19 strategy working, PM says
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announces ambitious plans to vaccinate ‘a very substantial part’ of the country’s population of 47 million by mid-2021. – AFP pic, November 23, 2020

MADRID – Spain’s strategy to curb a rise in coronavirus infections “is working”, said Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez yesterday as he unveiled details of a plan to vaccinate much of the population next year.

The country has recorded fewer than 400 Covid-19 cases per 100,000 inhabitants over the last 14 days, compared with nearly 530 at the start of the month, he told a news conference after a two-day online summit of G20 leaders.

This is proof that the declaration of a state of emergency last month, which allowed regional governments to impose virus restrictions, such as night-time curfews and limitations on inter-regional travel, is having an effect, he said.

“The strategy is working,” he said, adding that Spain has managed to reduce infections without imposing a second lockdown as has been done in several other European nations.

Sanchez on Friday announced ambitious plans to vaccinate “a very substantial part” of the country’s population of 47 million by mid-2021.

Yesterday, he said the campaign will start in January and involve 13,000 vaccination points nationwide.

The prime minister recalled that 14 million people received the flu shot in just eight weeks this year, compared with 10 million last year.

“The capacity which our national health service has to vaccinate in a short amount of time is frankly outstanding and gives us confidence that we can achieve this ambitious goal.

“We still have very difficult months ahead, but the road map has been drawn up.”

More details of the plan, which has been in development since September, will be unveiled after it is approved at tomorrow’s weekly cabinet meeting, he said.

Spain has been badly hit by the pandemic, suffering more than 1.5 million confirmed infections – the European Union’s second-highest number after France.

The virus has also claimed 42,619 lives in Spain, the fourth-highest toll after the UK, Italy and France. – AFP, November 23, 2020

Related News

World / 1mth

Spain refuses to stay silent as pressure mounts on defenders of international justice

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation