World

Pelosi’s husband Paul leaves hospital after attack

He remains under doctors’ care, says US house speaker

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 04 Nov 2022 2:30PM

Pelosi’s husband Paul leaves hospital after attack
In this file photo taken on April 23, 2019, US Speaker Nancy Pelosi (right) and husband Paul Pelosi arrive for the Time 100 Gala at Lincoln Centre in New York. Paul has been released from hospital following an attack in which a man broke into the couple’s home and hit her spouse on the head with a hammer.– AFP pic, November 4, 2022

WASHINGTON – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband has been released from hospital, the US politician said yesterday, following an attack in which a man broke into the couple’s home and hit her spouse on the head with a hammer.

The man accused of the violent episode, David DePape, 42, allegedly intended to tie up Pelosi and break her kneecaps, but found only her 82-year-old husband, Paul Pelosi.

“Paul remains under doctors’ care as he continues to progress on a long recovery process and convalescence,” the speaker said in a press release. “He is now home surrounded by his family who request privacy.”

DePape was arrested last week and ordered to be held in custody after he pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and other charges during his arraignment Tuesday at a San Francisco court.

“Paul is grateful to the 911 operator, emergency responders, trauma care team, ICU staff, and the entire... medical staff” at the San Francisco hospital where he received care, Nancy Pelosi said.

“The Pelosi family is thankful for the beautiful outpouring of love, support, and prayers from around the world,” she added.

According to the state prosecutors’ filing, DePape startled Paul awake from his bed in the early hours of Friday, holding a hammer and several plastic zip ties.

He told Paul he had come to find Nancy Pelosi because she is “number two in line for the presidency”, and “we’ve got to take them all out”.

In a speech Wednesday, US President Joe Biden linked the attack to the political violence unleashed by ex-president Donald Trump’s supporters against Congress on January 6, 2021.

Republicans, he said, have “emboldened violence and intimidation of voters and election officials”.

“That is the path to chaos in America,” he said. – AFP, November 4, 2022

Related News

World / 3y

Suspect in Paul Pelosi assault also targeted Tom Hanks, court hears

World / 3y

Pelosi to step down as top Democrat after Republicans take House

World / 3y

Pelosi ‘heartbroken, traumatised’ over attack on husband

World / 3y

Intruder hunting US politician Pelosi attacks her husband with hammer

World / 3y

Pelosi condemns ‘illegal’ Azerbaijan attack on Armenia

World / 3y

US law cannot require coverage of HIV prevention drugs, judge rules

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus