World

French cops face charges over black man's beating

Incident involving music producer Michel Zecler exposed in video footage published last week

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Nov 2020 8:20AM

French cops face charges over black man's beating
Police beating music producer Michel Zecler in his music studio last week. After footage of the incident was released, anger against the police rose in France. – YouTube pic, November 30, 2020

PARIS – Four French police officers should face charges over the beating and racial abuse of a black music producer, Paris's top prosecutor said yesterday, days after the incident that intensified controversy over a new security law.

The beating of music producer Michel Zecler – exposed in video footage published last week – has become a focus of anger against the police, who critics accuse of institutionalised racism and targeting black and Arab people.

Tens of thousands protested on Saturday against the security bill, which would restrict the right to publish images of on-duty police. The rally in Paris ended in bitter clashes.

Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz said all four police investigated over the beating of Zecler should face charges and called for three of them to be held in custody and be charged specifically with using racial abuse.

The case is now being handed to an investigating magistrate who will have the final say on charges and detention measures.

'Aleppo came back to me' 

The protests in Paris saw a brasserie set alight, cars torched and stones thrown at security forces, who responded with tear gas and anti-riot tactics.

Among those hurt was an award-winning Syrian photojournalist, Ameer al-Halbi, 24, seen with a bruised face and much of his head covered in bandages in AFP photos.

Al-Halbi is a freelance photographer who has worked for Polka Magazine and AFP, who both condemned the incident in statements Sunday.

"We are shocked by the injuries suffered by our colleague Ameer al-Halbi and condemn the unprovoked violence," said Phil Chetwynd, AFP’s global news director, demanding that the police investigate the incident.

Al-Halbi was trapped for several hours with head wounds unable to get to hospital and said the experience brought back memories of the Syrian civil war in his hometown, Aleppo.

"It was Aleppo that came back to me last night," he said.

Police said 81 people were arrested at the protests, with Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin saying the violence was "unacceptable".

In a tweet, Darmanin said 98 police officers had been hurt during the protests, adding: "Those behind the violence will be pursued."

Racial abuse charges 

The four officers have been questioned by the police's National Police Inspectorate General (IGPN) on suspicion of using violence and racial abuse.

Heitz said three of the officers should remain in custody "to avoid the perpetrators communicating or pressure on witnesses".

He called for charges of intentional violence, racial abuse and posting a false police report.

The fourth man, who arrived on the scene later and fired a tear gas canister, should be freed under conditions and charged with intentional violence, he said.

The four officers had a good service record before the incident, he said, and claimed they had acted "out of fear".

Zecler had been stopped for not wearing a mask and because of a strong smell of cannabis. But only a tiny quantity of the substance was found, he said.

Law controversy 

Commentators say that the images of the beating – first published by the Loopsider news site – may never have been made public if the contentious Article 24 of the security legislation was made law.

The bill would criminalise publishing images of on-duty police with the intent of harming their "physical or psychological integrity".

It was passed by the National Assembly although it is awaiting Senate approval.

The controversy over the law and police violence is developing into another crisis for the government as President Emmanuel Macron confronts the pandemic, its economic fallout and a host of problems on the international stage.

Macron said on Friday that the images of Zecler's beating "shame us" and asked the French government to come up with proposals to "fight against discrimination".

For critics, the legislation is further evidence of a slide to the right by Macron, who came to power in 2017 as a centrist promising liberal reform of France.

But the proposed legislation is being called increasingly into question.

"Frankly, I am not closed to anything," said Yael Braun-Pivet, a member of Macron's ruling party who chairs the parliamentary committee on legal affairs.

"We have had times where we have modified or even removed articles," he told France Inter radio. – AFP, November 30, 2020

Related News

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

China ends French team's dream run to retain the Thomas Cup

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

Business / 1y

Time for Malaysia to move away from its traditional markets, says MITI

Malaysia / 1y

Malaysia eyeing big chunk of RM 1.4 billion spent by French tourists yearly

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates