World

California boat captain charged with 34 counts of manslaughter

Blaze breaks out while all six crew members, 33 passengers are asleep

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Dec 2020 5:30PM

California boat captain charged with 34 counts of manslaughter

LOS ANGELES – The captain of a scuba diving boat that caught fire last year off the coast of California, leaving 34 people dead, was charged yesterday with manslaughter, one count for each victim.

The blaze – the worst maritime disaster in modern California history – broke out while all six crew members and 33 passengers were asleep. The cause of the fire is still unknown.

A federal jury said Jerry Nehl Boylan, 67, captain of the Conception, “is responsible for the safety and security of the vessel, its crew, and its passengers”.

He was charged with 34 counts of manslaughter due to “his misconduct, negligence, and inattention to his duties”, according to a statement from the central California prosecutor’s office.

In the statement, Boylan is criticised for failing to have a night watchman, as required by federal law, and for not organising the training and evacuation drills necessary to respond to possible fires.

When the fire broke out on the night of September 2, five crew members tried to reach the 33 passengers and one crew member sleeping in the lower deck but jumped overboard after they were unable to open a forward window and were overwhelmed by smoke.

The fire was so intense that firefighters were unable to board the 22m vessel, which sank as they tried to extinguish the blaze. 

The boat had been on a three-day diving excursion around the Channel Islands, off the coast of Santa Barbara in southern California.

The blaze broke out on the last day of the trip, as the boat was anchored off Santa Cruz Island.

“As a result of the alleged failures of Captain Boylan to follow well-established safety rules, a pleasant holiday dive trip turned into a hellish nightmare as passengers and one crew member found themselves trapped in a fiery bunkroom with no means of escape,” said United States attorney Nick Hanna.

Boylan was charged under a relatively uncommon criminal provision specific to seamen and people in related fields that opens the category to prosecution for negligence resulting in death.

If convicted, Boylan faces a 10-year prison sentence per charge of manslaughter. – AFP, December 2, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 6d

Subang Airport temporarily closed after helicopter fire

Malaysia / 6d

Helicopter catches fire at Subang Airport

Events / 6d

Penang records another major healthcare-related FDI

World / 2mth

Private jet crashes in Dominican Republic, explodes into massive fireball (video)

Malaysia / 2mth

Jewellery shop among six premises destroyed in fire (video)

Malaysia / 2mth

One killed as fire destroys former Odeon cinema in Penang

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington