World

20,000 foreign forces in Libya despite ceasefire

They are now occupying your house, says UN envoy, also pointing to violation of arms embargo

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Dec 2020 4:30PM

20,000 foreign forces in Libya despite ceasefire
Libya has been wracked by violence and chaos since the toppling and killing of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011. – Pixabay pic, December 3, 2020

TRIPOLI – Some 20,000 foreign forces and mercenaries are in Libya despite a ceasefire and long-standing arms embargo, said the United Nations envoy yesterday, calling the situation a “shocking violation of Libyan sovereignty”.

Libya has been wracked by violence and chaos since the toppling and killing of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011.

Forces loyal to the UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) based in Tripoli and those of eastern strongman Khalifa Haftar formally agreed to a ceasefire in October.

Under the deal, all military units and armed groups must withdraw from the front lines, while mercenaries and foreign fighters must leave Libyan territory within 90 days.

“There are now 20,000 foreign forces and/or mercenaries in your country. That is a shocking violation of Libyan sovereignty,” the UN’s interim Libya envoy, Stephanie Williams, told a virtual meeting of a political dialogue forum.

“There (are) now 10 military bases in your country... that are today, either fully or partially, occupied by foreign forces.

“They are now occupying your house. This is a blatant violation of the arms embargo... They are pouring weapons into your country, a country that does not need more weapons.”

Haftar, supported by Russia, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt, launched an offensive on Tripoli in April last year, but was pushed back earlier this year as pro-GNA forces received key military support from Turkey.

The latest round of the UN-sponsored political dialogue forum is taking place virtually, after a first in-person session in the Tunisian capital last month.

The forum is part of a push to end almost a decade of violence in the North African country.

At the Tunis meeting, delegates agreed to hold elections on December 24 next year, but not on who will lead the political transition. – AFP, December 3, 2020

Related News

World / 3y

Rival Libya leaders play blame game after Tripoli clashes kill 32

World / 3y

Death toll from Tripoli clashes rises to 23, 140 injured

World / 4y

Libyan protesters storm, set fire to Parliament in Tobruk

World / 4y

Fresh clashes rock Libyan capital after failed coup

Heritage / 4y

Libyan artisans restore old Qurans for Ramadan

World / 4y

Nearly 100 die in new Mediterranean boat tragedy: UN, MSF

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren