World

Japan prosecutors seek to question ex-PM Abe on spending scandal

Reports say his office failed to report eight million yen spent on political events over five years

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Dec 2020 10:30PM

Japan prosecutors seek to question ex-PM Abe on spending scandal
Prosecutors allege that Shinzo Abe’s office failed to report its spending for dinners his political group organised on the eve of government-sponsored cherry blossom viewing parties. – AFP pic, December 3, 2020

TOKYO – Japanese prosecutors are seeking to question former prime minister Shinzo Abe over a scandal involving the cost of events held for his supporters, local media said today.

Under Japanese law, spending on political events must be reported, but prosecutors allege that Abe’s office failed to do so for dinners his political group organised on the eve of government-sponsored cherry blossom viewing parties.

Public broadcaster NHK said the group paid more than eight million yen (RM312,144) for the events over five years until 2019.

The Tokyo Prosecutors Office, which declined to comment on the story, has already questioned Abe’s secretaries for allegedly failing to properly report the cost of the dinners.

NHK and Jiji Press agency said prosecutors wanted to question Abe about his knowledge of the payments.

Abe, who has not yet responded to the prosecutors’ request, has already denied any wrongdoing, saying guests, including voters in his constituency, attended at their own expense.

Abe resigned in September over health issues after becoming the country’s longest-serving prime minister.

He weathered several scandals while in office, including over the cherry blossom parties, a decades-old tradition intended to honour the great and good for their achievements.

Abe’s government was accused of stacking the event with supporters, and even inviting a member of Japan’s infamous Yakuza mafia.

When the opposition demanded a guest list be produced, it emerged the list had been shredded.

While the government denied wrongdoing, Abe’s successor Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has said he will not hold the event next year. – AFP, December 3, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Malaysian dies while transiting in Bangkok to Japan (video)

World / 3w

7.1-magnitude earthquake hits Japan’s Kyushu island

Malaysia / 2mth

PM: Students abroad should gain positive values ​​from the local community

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar instructs MetMalaysia to expedite cloud seeding in Kedah, Perlis

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: A boost for Zii Jia despite Malaysia losing to Japan

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus