World

New Zealand expects cyclone recovery to cost billions

Nation extends emergency for another week as PM confirms 11 deaths so far

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 20 Feb 2023 7:00PM

New Zealand expects cyclone recovery to cost billions
The full extent of the destruction brought by Cyclone Gabrielle – which lashed New Zealand’s North Island last week – is becoming clearer, as highways, power, and telecommunications are re-established. – AFP pic, February 20, 2023

WELLINGTON – New Zealand said today it was likely to cost billions of dollars to recover from Cyclone Gabrielle as the national state of emergency was extended by another week.

Prime Minister Chris Hipkins confirmed 11 people have so far died in the wake of the devastating flash flooding and high winds which lashed the North Island last week.

“Our thoughts remain with families and communities grieving loved ones during such a difficult time,” he added.

Hipkins has warned the final death toll could rise, but the number of people who police were still looking to contact had fallen to about 2,300.

The full extent of the cyclone’s destruction is becoming clearer, as highways, power, and telecommunications are re-established.

The raging torrent of floodwater the cyclone unleashed swept away or badly damaged homes, businesses, bridges, and roads across New Zealand.

Finance Minister Grant Robertson today pledged NZ$300 million (RM827 million) of relief.

Robertson warned the money pledged so far will only “scratch the surface” of the final figure needed, which he predicts will cost taxpayers “billions of dollars.”

“We have a long job ahead of us to rebuild after this disaster,” warned Robertson, who Hipkins has also made cyclone recovery minister, “but we have the resources and the will to do it.”

According to Hipkins, 15,000 North Island households remain without power, mostly in the east coast cities of Gisborne and Napier, where floodwaters poured into many homes.

After spending the weekend visiting hard-hit communities, Hipkins said the national state of emergency declared last week has been extended by another seven days.

“While some areas are starting to work on recovery, others are still very much in the emergency response phase,” he added.

This is only the third time in New Zealand’s 183-year history that a national state of emergency has been declared.

The other two were the 2019 Christchurch attacks and the Covid-19 pandemic. – AFP, February 20, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 3mth

Malaysian doctor couple saves passenger from allergic shock mid-flight

Culture & Lifestyle / 2y

Some of New Zealand’s finest at “Made with Care” campaign

Malaysia / 2y

New Zealand governor-general arrives in Malaysia for four-day state visit

World / 3y

No Malaysians reportedly involved in Auckland shooting: Wisma Putra

World / 3y

New Zealand tour firm pleads guilty to volcanic eruption charges

World / 3y

New Zealand to ban disposable vapes

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest