World

Dutch police arrest three in massive data theft case

Men suspected of stealing tens of millions of sensitive information, selling it to criminal gangs

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 24 Feb 2023 12:30PM

Dutch police arrest three in massive data theft case
According to Dutch police, the suspects’ methods included hacking a company’s computer systems before sending a threatening mail demanding ransom in bitcoins, threatening to wreck its digital infrastructure or make public sensitive data. – Pixabay pic, February 24, 2023

THE HAGUE – Dutch police said yesterday they have arrested three young men suspected of stealing tens of millions of sensitive personal data and selling it to criminal gangs.

Two men, aged 21 and another 18-year-old were arrested last month after an in-depth investigation that started in 2021, police said in a statement.

The probe was sparked after a large Dutch company laid a charge of data theft and blackmail.

“As the investigation progressed, it became clear that thousands of small and large businesses and institutions, nationally and internationally, were targeted by the hacking, theft and selling of data,” police said.

The suspects’ methods were “refined”, they added, hacking a company’s computer systems before sending a threatening mail demanding ransom in bitcoins.

“If the company did not pay, the suspects threatened to wreck its digital infrastructure or make public sensitive data.”

Many companies paid the ransom, often more than €100,000 (RM470,250) and €700,000 euros in one particular case.

“In many cases, the stolen data was sold anyway, even though the companies paid,” earning the main suspect an income of €2.5 million over the past few years.

Diverse companies fell victim, including those in the hospitality industry, training centres, webshops and those “belonging to the vital infrastructure”, police said.

“The data included dates of birth, bank account numbers, credit card numbers, passwords, car licence registrations, and ID and passport numbers,” police said.

“This information is worth its weight in gold to criminals,” police said, adding “the impact for those who fell victim is enormous”.

This was not only for the companies who were blackmailed but also for those targeted by the information sold to criminal gangs.

“It’s no longer necessary to look for victims on the streets. One press of a button behind a computer suffices,” police said.

The suspects will remain in jail – two under maximum security, meaning they are only allowed contact with their lawyers – while the investigation continues, police said.

The arrests followed a similar case last year when an Amsterdam man was taken into custody for selling the online data of tens of millions of people online.

That arrest followed a probe by Austrian police after a dataset containing millions of names gleaned from the Austrian television and radio licence provider appeared on a cybercrime forum.

Austrian police bought the dataset in an undercover operation and police traced the online address to a home in Amsterdam. – AFP, February 24, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 6mth

SMEs most vulnerable to data breaches and hacking – expert

Malaysia / 2y

Beware of ‘wedding invites’ carrying malware, says Bukit Aman

Tech / 3y

Why it’s wise to use Bluetooth with moderation

Malaysia / 3y

Alleged hacking of Misi Rakyat site under investigation

Malaysia / 3y

PDPA amendments necessary to avoid data abuse: Fahmi

World / 3y

China-backed hackers targeting critical US infrastructure: Five Eyes

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan