World

China completes first-ever docking in lunar orbit

Manoeuvre part of ambitious Chang’e-5 mission to bring back first lunar samples in four decades

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 06 Dec 2020 2:30PM

China completes first-ever docking in lunar orbit
The Chang'e-5 lunar probe gathering samples on the moon on Thursday. China is looking to catch up with the United States and Russia after taking decades to match their achievements, and has poured billions into its military-run space programme. – AFP pic, December 6, 2020

BEIJING – A Chinese probe carrying samples from the lunar surface successfully docked today with a spacecraft orbiting the moon, in another space first for the nation, state media reported.

The manoeuvre was part of the ambitious Chang’e-5 mission – named after a mythical Chinese Moon goddess – to bring back the first lunar samples in four decades.

The cargo capsule carrying lunar rocks and soil lifted off from the surface on Thursday, and docked with the orbiter this morning, the official Xinhua news agency said, citing the China National Space Administration (CNSA).

Xinhua said it was China’s first “rendezvous and docking in lunar orbit”.

The cargo capsule’s departure from the lunar surface on Thursday was also a first: the first liftoff of a Chinese craft from an extraterrestrial body.

The capsule transferred the moon samples to the orbiter, which will separate and return to Earth, Xinhua said.

China is looking to catch up with the United States and Russia after taking decades to match their achievements, and has poured billions into its military-run space programme.

Its space agency said previously that “before liftoff, the Chinese flag was raised on the moon's surface”.

Scientists hope the samples from Chang’e-5 will help them learn more about the Moon's origins and volcanic activity on its surface.

If the return journey is successful, China will become only the third country to have retrieved samples from the Moon, following the US and the Soviet Union in the 1960s and 1970s. – AFP, December 6, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 2d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 2d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Tech / 1mth

Penang’s Tech Dome celebrates 10th anniversary with opening of new space gallery

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates