World

Iran dismisses Saudi call for inclusion in nuclear talks

Tehran labels regional rival Riyadh a ‘mediocre’ power

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Dec 2020 8:30PM

Iran dismisses Saudi call for inclusion in nuclear talks
Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh says the Islamic Republic will not compromise on national security amid hopes the landmark 2015 nuclear deal with world powers will be revived when US president-elect Joe Biden is sworn in next month. – Twitter pic, December 7, 2020

TEHRAN – Iran has flatly dismissed a call by Saudi Arabia for Gulf states to be consulted on any potential negotiations with the Islamic republic on its nuclear programme.

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan had on Saturday sought that the kingdom be “fully consulted” on “what goes on vis-a-vis the negotiations with Iran.”

The request was rejected today by Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh.

“Everyone is free to talk, but it's better that they do not talk above their level so that they don’t embarrass themselves,” he told reporters.

“Dwelling too much about the place of a mediocre country in the region does not help,” the spokesman said in response to repeated questions on the Saudi position.

Khatibzadeh also accused Riyadh of funding extremist ideology and being responsible for many of the “troubles” of the Arab and Islam world, saying the Saudi people “deserve better”.

President-elect Joe Biden has signalled he wants the United States to return to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal known formally as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPOA.

The accord has been on life-support since 2018, when US President Donald Trump withdrew and began reimposing sanctions as part of a “maximum pressure” campaign against the Islamic republic.

Since 2019, Iran has gradually walked back most of its key nuclear commitments in response to the sanctions and what it calls Europe's inability to provide it with the agreement's promised economic benefits.

Tehran has maintained that its measures can be restored if the other parties to the deal carry out their commitments.

Sunni-ruled Saudi Arabia cut diplomatic ties with Shiite Iran after demonstrators attacked its diplomatic missions in the Islamic republic following the execution of a revered Shiite cleric.

The regional rivals are on opposing sides in conflicts from Syria to Yemen.

Animosity between them deepened last year after a series of attacks on tankers in the Gulf, which Washington blamed on Tehran despite Iranian denials.

Khatibzadeh reiterated Iran’s stance against renegotiating the nuclear accord and said "the JCPOA has already been written”.

He also dismissed a recent request by Germany -- which remains party to the accord along with Britain, China, France and Russia -- for a new, broader deal that would include limits on Tehran's ballistic missile programme.

“Iran will neither compromise nor negotiate its national security,” Khatibzadeh said.

“We hope Europe knows its place," he added, noting that it "should know that what could not be achieved using maximum pressure will not be achieved through other means either.” – AFP, December 7, 2020.

Related News

World / 1d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World / 2d

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

Opinion / 1mth

Modernity beyond the West? What Saudi Arabia is really testing

Opinion / 1mth

Has the sleeping giant been awakened with a terrible resolve?

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

Opinion / 1mth

US attacks in the Gulf show the weaknesses of MOUs

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen