World

DR Congo crisis deepens after fresh clashes in parliament

At least three hurt in second day of clashes

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Dec 2020 1:30PM

DR Congo crisis deepens after fresh clashes in parliament
Lawmakers in the Democratic Republic of Congo vote on the installation of the temporary board for the country's parliament amid brewing political upheaval. – AFP pic, December 8, 2020

KINSHASA – A spiralling political crisis in DR Congo saw more clashes yesterday in the country's trashed parliament, after which MPs supporting President Felix Tshisekedi moved to oust the majority party loyal to his predecessor Joseph Kabila.

At least three people were hurt in the second day of clashes as rival groups, including lawmakers, brawled and hurled objects before police were deployed to restore order, AFP reporters saw.

Tensions had been building for months over a fragile coalition government between Tshisekedi, who took over last year after nearly 20 years of Kabila rule, and his predecessor's party, which holds a parliamentary majority.

On Sunday Tshisekedi said he planned to form a new coalition in order to push through reforms for sub-Saharan Africa's troubled giant. He warned he might be forced to dissolve parliament and hold fresh elections.

Kabila's supporters in the Common Front for the Congo (FCC), which holds more than 300 out of the 500 seats in the National Assembly, reacted furiously, accusing Tshisekedi of breaching the constitution.

After pro-Tshisekedi lawmakers on Monday trashed the assembly's podium, the plenary room was closed, even though lawmakers on both sides had called for a legislative session.

Pro-Kabila MPs holed up yesterday on the first floor of the parliament building, a vast 1970s Chinese-built edifice called the Palace of the People, while those of Tshisekedi's UDPS party were on the ground floor, an AFP journalist at the scene said.

Projectiles rained down while rival groups brawled on the staircase before police intervened.

However a plenary session was held later yesterday, in which petitions were filed for the resignation of the pro-Kabila president of the National Assembly, Jeanine Mabunda, and other members.

Mboso N'kodia Mpwanga, who chaired the session, said it was attended by 279 of the 500 MPs – far more than the number of seats held by parties other than the FCC.

The members also voted to install temporary replacements for Mabunda and her team.

No roll call was made and Mabunda was not present for the session, which was broadcast live on state television.

“We have witnessed a parliamentary coup,” pro-Kabila MP Francois Nzekuye told AFP.

The petitions will be considered in a plenary session tomorrow.

The UN Joint Human Rights Office in DR Congo wrote on Twitter late yesterday that it “strongly condemns the violence in and around the People's Palace, which is incompatible with the requirements of a democratic society”.

The tensions have sparked international alarm, reviving memories of the Democratic Republic of Congo's long record of volatility.

Coups and warfare have bloodied the narrative of the DRC since it gained independence from Belgium in 1960.

The US embassy in Kinshasa said yesterday it took note of Tshisekedi’s Sunday announcement, adding that it would “continue to support a process of reform to deliver the change the Congolese people seek”.

In a joint statement with Canada, Britain, Switzerland, South Korea and Japan, it called for "all sides to maintain good faith and engage peacefully in the political process". 

The African Union meanwhile called on the country's leaders to "work resolutely and sincerely for national harmony and to preserve peace and stability".

Both Tshisekedi and the legislature were chosen in much-delayed elections in December 2018 that while peaceful were tarred by accusations of fraud.

Kabila took office in January 2001, succeeding his assassinated father, Laurent-Desire Kabila.

Still only 49, he retains considerable clout through political allies and officers he appointed to the armed forces, and is also a senator for life.

The governing coalition emerged from a pact, still unpublished, between Tshisekedi and Kabila at the handover in January 2019.

But the need to share power has thwarted Tshisekedi's long-standing pledge to enact institutional reform and combat graft.

Tensions erupted into the open in July, when he named three new justices to the top court, the Constitutional Council.

The FCC angrily protested and boycotted the judges' October swearing-in ceremony. 

Two days later, Tshisekedi revealed the scale of discord with the FCC-dominated government.

The following month, he embarked on three weeks of consultations with various parties and political figures, seeking – in the words of his office – “the sacred union of the nation”.

These talks culminated in Sunday's announcement of the search for a new government lineup, and the threat to dissolve parliament. – AFP, December 9, 2020.

Related News

Malaysia / 6h

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Malaysia / 2w

Racial politics or stability and economic growth? Voters must decide, says Penang CM

Malaysia / 2w

Politics of race and religion are unsustainable, says Amanah VP

Malaysia / 3w

A tragic crash, and the ugly rush to judge by race

Malaysia / 3w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation