World

In Brazil, judge ends suspension of Telegram app 

Court previously suspends, fines platform for failing to assist neo-Nazi probe

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 30 Apr 2023 3:00PM

In Brazil, judge ends suspension of Telegram app 
Brazil has reversed is suspension of the Telegram messaging app, imposed by a court after its parent company failed to provide data sought by authorities on neo-Nazis using the network. – AFP pic, April 30, 2023

RIO DI JANEIRO – A Brazilian judge yesterday reversed the suspension of the Telegram messaging app, imposed by a court after its parent company failed to provide data sought by authorities on neo-Nazis operating on the network. 

That court had fined Telegram a million reais (RM883,000) per day and ordered the temporary suspension of its activities for failing to assist in a probe into neo-Nazi activity on social networks related to violence in schools. 

But Judge Flavio Lucas ruled that the suspension of the app throughout the country was “not reasonable”, since it affects “the freedom of communication of thousands of people absolutely unrelated to the facts being investigated”, the Federal Regional Court-2 (TRF-2), based in Rio de Janeiro, said in a statement. 

But the judge upheld the daily fine of one million reais (USD 198,000) imposed on the company originally. 

Justice Minister Flavio Dino said last week that groups with anti-Semitic names were “acting in those networks, and we know that this is at the core of violence against our children,” he added, in reference to a recent spate of attacks in schools. 

Earlier this month, a man carrying a hatchet killed four children aged four to seven at their school in the same week as two other, non-fatal school attacks. 

Last month, a 13-year-old boy killed a teacher in a knife attack at a school in Sao Paulo. 

And last November, a 16-year-old shooter killed four people and injured more than 10 others in twin attacks on two schools in Aracruz, in the southeastern state of Espirito Santo. 

The G1 news portal, citing police sources, reported the teenager had allegedly interacted with anti-Semitic groups on Telegram. – AFP, April 30, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 11mth

Court issues order to stop Telegram from disseminating harmful content

Malaysia / 1y

Action against Telegram, Edisi Siasat channel for violating Act 588 – Fahmi

Malaysia / 2y

Thailand's raw sugar export restriction won’t affect affect supply in M’sia: minister

World / 2y

Bigger BRICS ‘stronger, more important’ says Brazil’s Lula

Fashion / 3y

Plus-size movement reshapes fashion in Brazil

World / 3y

Iraq blocks Telegram over ‘national security’, privacy concerns

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China