World

Sudan’s warring parties agree to 72-hour truce extension

National army credits Saudi-American mediation, says it hopes rival abides by ceasefire

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 01 May 2023 10:30AM

Sudan’s warring parties agree to 72-hour truce extension
Sudan has been witnessing a large-scale evacuation of foreign nationals and diplomats by air, land and sea since the eruption of the deadly clashes between the army and the RSF in Khartoum and other areas on April 15. – Screen grab pic, May 1, 2023

KHARTOUM – The Sudanese Army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) yesterday announced their commitment to a new 72-hour humanitarian truce, effective as of midnight yesterday.

“Based on the endeavours and request of the Saudi-American mediation, the Armed Forces agreed to extend the truce for an extra 72 hours, to begin at the end of the current one,” the army said in a statement, reported Xinhua.

The army expressed hope that its rival would abide by the truce.

For its part, the RSF said in a statement yesterday that “in response to international, regional and local calls, we declare an extension of the humanitarian truce for an additional 72 hours, starting today midnight”.

The RSF said that it agreed to the truce extension to open humanitarian passages, facilitate the movement of citizens and enable them to get their needs and reach safe areas.

The statement stressed the RSF’s commitment to the terms of the humanitarian truce and complete ceasefire.

Also yesterday, Sudan’s Civil Aviation Authority said the closure of the country’s airspace will be extended to May 13.

Flights for humanitarian aid and evacuation are excluded after obtaining a permit from related authorities and the approval of the Sudanese Armed Forces.

Sudan has been witnessing a large-scale evacuation of foreign nationals and diplomats by air, land and sea since the eruption of the deadly clashes between the army and the RSF in Khartoum and other areas on April 15.

So far, the clashes have left more than 500 people dead and over 4,000 others wounded, according to the Sudanese Health Ministry. – Bernama, May 1, 2023

Related News

World / 2mth

Sudan’s war may be far from over — and a new report suggests why

World / 2mth

HRW: Private military contractors deployed to Sudan to support RSF

World / 2y

Sudan’s de facto president rejects peace negotiations

World / 3y

Sudan’s warring parties agree to three-day ceasefire

World / 3y

Fighting worsens in Sudan despite US sanctions

World / 3y

Sudan displacement doubles to 700,000 in a week: UN

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen