World

Cyclone Mocha death toll reaches 145 in Myanmar: authorities

Majority of fatalities from most-powerful storm in over a decade are Rohingya refugees

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 19 May 2023 8:00PM

Cyclone Mocha death toll reaches 145 in Myanmar: authorities
Cyclone Mocha has brought lashing rain and 195km/h winds to Myanmar and neighbouring Bangladesh, collapsing buildings and turning streets into rivers (pic for illustration purposes only). – Pixabay pic, May 19, 2023

YANGON – The death toll from Cyclone Mocha has reached 145 in Myanmar with the majority Rohingya refugees, authorities said today, after the region’s most-powerful storm in more than a decade hit at the weekend.

Mocha brought lashing rain and 195km/h winds to Myanmar and neighbouring Bangladesh on Sunday, collapsing buildings and turning streets into rivers.

The storm churned up villages, uprooted trees, and knocked out communications across much of Myanmar’s Rakhine state.

The region is home to hundreds of thousands of Rohingya refugees who live in displacement camps following decades of ethnic conflict.

“Altogether 145 local people were killed during the cyclone,” a statement from Myanmar’s junta authorities said. 

The number included four soldiers, 24 locals, and 117 “Bengalis”, it added, using a pejorative term for the Rohingya.

Widely viewed as interlopers from Bangladesh, Rohingya are denied citizenship and access to health care in Myanmar, and require permission to travel outside of their townships.

A Rohingya village leader previously said that more than 100 people were missing from his village alone following the storm.  

Another leader based near the Rakhine state capital of Sittwe said that at least 105 Rohingya had died around the city, with counting still ongoing.

Flights resumed

Media reports that 400 Rohingya had died were “not true”, the junta’s statement said, adding that action would be taken against the outlets that published the figure. 

The junta has arrested scores of journalists and closed outlets deemed critical of its rule since the military staged a coup that ousted an elected government more than two years ago.

Junta-backed media reported today that naval ships and the air force had brought in thousands of bags of rice, while thousands of electricians, firefighters, and rescue workers had been deployed across Rakhine. 

Normal flight service had resumed at Sittwe airport yesterday, according to newspaper the Global New Light of Myanmar.

Some international aid groups, including the UN World Food Programme, were working on the ground in Sittwe this week, according to correspondents. 

A junta spokesman did not respond to questions on whether UN agencies would be granted access to displacement camps outside Sittwe that house Rohingya.

A military crackdown in Myanmar in 2017 sent hundreds of thousands of Rohingya fleeing into neighbouring Bangladesh, with harrowing stories emerging of murder, rape, and arson.

Junta chief Min Aung Hlaing – who was head of the army during the crackdown – has dismissed the term Rohingya as “imaginary”.

In neighbouring Bangladesh, officials said that no one had died in the cyclone, which passed close to sprawling refugee camps that now house almost one million Rohingya.

Cyclones – the equivalent of hurricanes in the North Atlantic or typhoons in the Northwest Pacific – are a regular and deadly menace on the coast of the northern Indian Ocean where tens of millions of people live.

Cyclone Nargis devastated Myanmar’s Irrawaddy Delta in 2008, killing at least 138,000 people.

A previous junta regime faced international criticism for its response to that disaster. It was accused of blocking emergency aid and initially refusing to grant access to humanitarian workers and supplies. – AFP, May 19, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3w

Penang calls on UNHCR to ensure welfare of Rohingya community

Malaysia / 1mth

When ‘safety’ becomes a cover for xenophobia

Malaysia / 1mth

Foreign worker issues to come under Cabinet review next week as government seeks sector-wide solutions

Malaysia / 2mth

Malaysia, Bangladesh seek solution to Rohingya ethnic issue through ASEAN

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest