World

US flies two B-52s over Gulf in message for Iran

Mission designed to underscore commitment to regional partners, says commander

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Dec 2020 6:30AM

US flies two B-52s over Gulf in message for Iran
United States Central Command commander General Frank McKenzie says the US has deployed two B-52 long-range bombers over the Gulf to underscore its military’s commitment to regional partners, while validating the ability to rapidly deploy combat power anywhere in the world. – Wikipedia pic, December 11, 2020

WASHINGTON – The United States deployed two B-52 long-range bombers over the Gulf yesterday in a show of force directed at Iran as Washington moves to cut its ground-level military presence in the region.

The two bombers took off at short notice from Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana for the non-stop, 36-hour mission to cross Europe and then the Arabian Peninsula to the Gulf, looping near Qatar while keeping a “safe distance” from Iran’s coastline, US defence officials said.

The mission, the second in two months, “was designed to underscore the US military’s commitment to its regional partners, while also validating the ability to rapidly deploy combat power anywhere in the world,” according to US Central Command commander General Frank McKenzie.

While McKenzie did not name Iran as the focus of the mission, the US has used shows of force in the air and on the sea to deter Tehran from “malign behaviour” towards US forces and allies in the Gulf.

“Potential adversaries should understand that no nation on earth is more ready and capable of rapidly deploying additional combat power in the face of any aggression,” McKenzie said in a statement.

The flight was coordinated with US allies, and aircraft from Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Qatar flew with the bombers as they traversed the airspace, according to a US defence official.

In the last year, President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to slash US troop numbers in Iraq to just 2,500 by mid-January, the lowest level since 2003.

Likewise, he is cutting the number of troops on the ground in Afghanistan and Somalia.

But the US Navy has kept a significant presence in the region.

In late November, a carrier group led by the nuclear-powered USS Nimitz sailed into the Gulf.

Speaking at a virtual conference sponsored by Defence One after the announcement, McKenzie pointed out that the B-52 deployment came nearly one year after US forces killed Iranian Quds Force commander Qassem Soleimani while he was visiting Baghdad on January 3.

Since then, Iran has been expected to try to retaliate, and even more so since the assassination inside Iran of senior nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh last month, which Tehran blames on Israel.

“I think they were embarrassed by it,” McKenzie said of Fakhrizadeh’s murder.

“I think they’re searching for a way to respond... But their process is often slow and often not completely synchronised. So I think they are still working what that’s going to be.”

He said he is always in discussions with Pentagon leadership on what kind and size of presence the US military needs to deter Iran.

“Because that is our intent: to convince them that it is not in their interest to lash out, it is not in their interest to attack us either directly or indirectly.” – AFP, December 11, 2020

Related News

World / 1d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World / 2d

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

Opinion / 1mth

Has the sleeping giant been awakened with a terrible resolve?

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

Opinion / 1mth

US attacks in the Gulf show the weaknesses of MOUs

World / 1mth

Iran’s My Lai: The Minab school bombing and the reckoning that never comes

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran