World

Trump administration carries out another execution

President ignores calls for clemency, Covid-19 outbreaks behind bars

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Dec 2020 5:30PM

Trump administration carries out another execution
The administration of President Donald Trump has carried out yet another execution, in a series of federal capital punishments, in its waning days in power, ignoring calls for clemency and Covid-19 outbreaks behind bars. – Pixabay pic, December 11, 2020

WASHINGTON – A convicted murderer died by lethal injection yesterday as the administration of President Donald Trump carries out a series of federal executions in its waning days in power, ignoring calls for clemency and Covid-19 outbreaks behind bars.

Brandon Bernard, a 40-year-old African-American inmate, was put to death at a prison in Terre Haute, Indiana for his role in a 1999 double-murder in Texas committed when he was 18 years old.

More than 500,000 people had signed petitions urging Trump to commute Bernard’s sentence to life in prison, citing his age at the time of the crime and his good behaviour as an inmate.

Among those lending their support to Bernard was reality television star Kim Kardashian.

“At just a few months past 18, his brain was still developing," Kardashian said.

“While Brandon did participate in this crime, his role was minor compared to that of the other teens involved, two of whom are home from prison now.”

Bernard and four other black teenagers were convicted of abducting youth ministers Todd and Stacie Bagley, a white couple from Iowa. They forced them to withdraw cash before eventually shooting and burning them in their car. 

Because the crime took place on a United States military base it was tried in Federal Court.

The shooter, then-19-year-old Christopher Vialva, and Bernard, who lit the car on fire, were sentenced to death in 2000.

“Brandon made one terrible mistake at 18. But he did not kill anyone, and he never stopped feeling shame and profound remorse for his actions in the crime that took the lives of Todd and Stacie Bagley,” his lawyer, Robert C. Owen, said in a statement after his death.

Vialva was executed by lethal injection in September, but other participants, who were under the age of 17 at the time, avoided the death penalty.

Without a last-minute reprieve, Bernard became the ninth federal inmate to be executed since July, when the Trump administration resumed federal executions after a 17-year hiatus.

Despite Trump’s defeat in the November 3 presidential election, which he has refused to concede, his administration plans to carry out more federal executions before he leaves office.

For 131 years, outgoing presidents traditionally suspended federal executions during the transition period.

'Out of step'

The last federal execution is set for January 15, just five days before Democrat Joe Biden is to be sworn into office. Biden has pledged to end federal executions.

Before July, there had been only three federal executions in the past 45 years.

The Trump administration is “out of step with the way that the federal government has approached the death penalty in recent history,” Death Penalty Information Centre research director Ngozi Ndulue said.

She said it is also at odds with public opinion on the death penalty.

Earlier yesterday, about 20 anti-death penalty protestors gathered outside the Justice Department holding signs reading “All Life Is Precious” and chanting “execution is not the solution”.

“There’s no reason to be carrying out these executions,” Abraham Bonowitz, 53, said. He is the director of Death Penalty Action.

“We know that we can be saved from dangerous offenders and hold them accountable without executions.”

Ndulue said it is “really striking” that the government is “aggressively pursuing executions in the middle of a global pandemic”.

The coronavirus pandemic is raging in the US with nearly 3,000 deaths reported yesterday, bringing the total number to more than 290,000.

Amid the health crisis, even states such as Texas, which carry out the most executions, have suspended them out of concern for prison staff, witnesses and the relatives of victims.

In the week following the last federal execution, carried out on November 19, six prison workers and the spiritual adviser of the condemned man tested positive for Covid-19.

Trump’s attorney general, Bill Barr, has rebuffed calls for the federal executions to be suspended saying the government is obligated to carry out the sentences imposed by the courts for “heinous” crimes.

Ndulue also pointed to racial disparities in the application of capital punishment in the US.

Five of the first six federal prisoners executed since July were white. The other was a Native American.

The two latest inmates to be executed were black, however, and so are four of the next five.

The other is a white woman, Lisa Montgomery. Montgomery would be the first woman executed by the federal government since 1953. – AFP, December 11, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

SAFM demands fair, transparent probe into Rocky's death

Malaysia / 2w

#JusticeForRocky: Public outcry grows over dog’s death during Klang council operation

Malaysia / 3w

#JusticeForRocky – Owners call for justice after dog tortured and killed by youths

Opinion / 1mth

Forget the judges. Book the studio

World / 1mth

Spain refuses to stay silent as pressure mounts on defenders of international justice

Malaysia / 1mth

Transparency, not silence, is how institutions earn trust, says former Mongolian PM

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen