World

Austria’s primary school headscarf ban overturned

Country’s constitutional court says law passed last year contravenes religious freedoms

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 12 Dec 2020 1:30PM

Austria’s primary school headscarf ban overturned
Legislation preventing girls in Austria under the age of 10 from wearing the headscarf and had been challenged by two children and their parents.– AFP pic, December 12, 2020

VIENNA – Austria’s constitutional court has struck down a law introduced last year which banned the headscarf in primary schools, saying the measure was unconstitutional and discriminatory.

In a statement explaining the decision, the court said the law “contravened the principle of equality in relation to freedom of religion, belief and conscience”.

The law prevented girls younger than 10 from wearing the headscarf and had been challenged by two children and their parents.

The measure was passed in May 2019 under the previous coalition of the centre-right People’s Party (OeVP) and the far-right Freedom Party (FPOe), just days before that government collapsed due to a corruption scandal.

Both parties had made anti-immigration rhetoric a key part of their political messaging and their spokesmen made it clear at the time that the law was targeting the headscarf.

However, the text of the legislation attempted to avoid charges of discrimination by banning “ideologically or religiously influenced clothing which is associated with the covering of the head”.

Nevertheless, the court said that the law could only be understood as targeting Islamic head coverings.

The OeVP-FPOe government had itself said that the patka head covering worn by Sikh boys or the Jewish kippa would not be affected.

The new OeVP-Green party coalition that took office in January had planned to extend the ban for girls under 14.

The current OeVP Education Minister Heinz Fassmann said that the ministry would “take note of the judgement and look into its arguments”.

“I regret that girls will not have the opportunity to make their way through the education system free from compulsion,” he added.

In its statement the court said that far from promoting integration, “the ban could... lead to discrimination as it runs the risk of making it more difficult for Muslim girls to access education and socially excluding them”.

The IGGOe, the body officially recognised as representing the country’s Muslim communities, welcomed the judgement and said the court had ended “the populist politics of bans”.

IGGOe President Umit Vural said in a statement: “We don’t condone disparaging attitudes towards women who decide against the headscarf... and we also cannot agree with the curtailing of the religious freedom of those Muslim women who understand the headscarf to be a integral part of their lived religious practice.”

The IGGOe had said at the time of the ban that in any case only a “miniscule number” of girls would be affected. – AFP, December 12, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 8h

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Malaysia / 2w

Racial politics or stability and economic growth? Voters must decide, says Penang CM

Malaysia / 2w

Politics of race and religion are unsustainable, says Amanah VP

Malaysia / 3w

A tragic crash, and the ugly rush to judge by race

Malaysia / 3w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline