World

Fukushima water release meets international standards: S. Korea

On-site inspection data, analysis show discharge plan meets criteria, govt says

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 07 Jul 2023 11:00AM

Fukushima water release meets international standards: S. Korea
South Korea emphasises that the Fukushima plant’s custom purification system, ALPS, has significantly improved and stabilised, resulting in radionuclide levels within permissible limits since mid-2019. – Wikipedia pic, July 7, 2023

SEOUL – The South Korean government said Friday that Japan’s plan to release contaminated water from its crippled Fukushima plant would meet international standards, including those set by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) if carried out as planned.

South Korea announced its own scientific analysis of the discharge plan, based on the findings of an on-site inspection of the plant completed in late May and other related data, as well as an analysis of the IAEA safety review, reported Yonhap news agency.

According to a simulation based on an emission standard set by the plant operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co, the radiation impact on South Korean shores is estimated to be about one-100,000th of the current level.

The government further said that the technology of the plant’s custom purification system, known as ALPS, has gradually improved and stabilised, resulting in radionuclide levels within permissible limits since mid-2019.

Previously, the Seoul government had reported that six types of radionuclides were detected at levels exceeding permissible limits even after treatment through ALPS, but most of these cases occurred before 2019.

As ocean currents disperse the contaminated water, radioactive materials will become nearly undetectable on South Korean shores, the government said, emphasising that the concentration level will remain within the acceptable limit.

Notably, the concentration level of tritium, a hydrogen radioisotope known to still be detected after treatment through ALPS, would also be within the limit as the seawater would dilute it sufficiently.

“The review was carried out under the premise that Tokyo Electric Power’s discharge plan is carried out as planned,” South Korean Policy Coordination Minister Bang Moon Kyu told a daily briefing.

The country also emphasised its respect for the outcome of the IAEA’s safety review of Japan’s plan.

On Tuesday, the United Nations nuclear watchdog announced that its two-year review found Japan’s plan to release water from the plant into the sea to be consistent with its safety standards. The agency also stated that the treated water would have a negligible radiological impact on both people and the environment.

This announcement coincides with IAEA Director-General Rafael Mariano Grossi’s visit to South Korea later in the day for a three-day trip, following his ongoing four-day trip to Japan.

In response to heightened public concern, Seoul launched a daily press briefing last month to keep the public updated on the planned release of contaminated water from the plant, which suffered severe damage due to a massive earthquake and tsunami in 2011. – Bernama, July 7, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Malaysian dies while transiting in Bangkok to Japan (video)

World / 3w

7.1-magnitude earthquake hits Japan’s Kyushu island

Malaysia / 2mth

PM: Students abroad should gain positive values ​​from the local community

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar instructs MetMalaysia to expedite cloud seeding in Kedah, Perlis

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: A boost for Zii Jia despite Malaysia losing to Japan

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured