World

US completes destruction of its remaining chemical weapons

Disposal of last rocket filled with sarin nerve agent caps over 30-year process

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 08 Jul 2023 1:30PM

US completes destruction of its remaining chemical weapons
The US once had more than 30,000 tonnes of chemical warfare agents in explosively configured weapons and bulk containers. – Pixabay pic, July 8, 2023

WASHINGTON – The US Defence Department officials said yesterday that the country has destroyed the last of its chemical weapons arsenal, completing a decades-long process.

The final sarin nerve agent-filled M55 rocket was destroyed at the Blue Grass Army Depot in Kentucky, United Press International quoted the department as saying.

“This is the first time an international body has verified destruction of an entire category of declared weapons of mass destruction – reinforcing the United States’ commitment to creating a world free of chemical weapons,” Under Secretary of Defence for Acquisition and Sustainment William A. LaPlante said in a statement.

The US once had more than 30,000 tonnes of chemical warfare agents in explosively configured weapons and bulk containers. Congress mandated in 1986 that the arsenal be destroyed, and the process began in 1990.

President Joe Biden applauded yesterday’s news and said that all nations should join the Chemical Weapons Convention to impose a global ban on the weapons.

“For more than 30 years, the United States has worked tirelessly to eliminate our chemical weapons stockpile,” Biden said. “Today, I am proud to announce that the United States has safely destroyed the final munition in that stockpile, bringing us one step closer to a world free from the horrors of chemical weapons.”

Last month, a team of companies in Colorado led by Bechtel National Inc. completed the destruction of more than 780,000 mustard agent-filled projectiles at the US Army Pueblo Chemical Depot. – Bernama, July 8, 2023

Related News

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

World / 2y

Aid for Ukraine held hostage by US politics

Malaysia / 2y

Cops say no info yet on repatriation of two Malaysians from Guantanamo Bay

Malaysia / 2y

Penang-born fugitive Fat Leonard sent back to the US

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest