World

Terrorists behind foiled attack in Turkiye used stolen car of murdered civilian

Suicide bomber blows himself up in front of Security Directorate General in Ankara

Updated 2 years ago · Published on 02 Oct 2023 11:41AM

Terrorists behind foiled attack in Turkiye used stolen car of murdered civilian
A suicide bomber detonated a device at a Turkish government building in Ankara. Screengrab.

ISTANBUL – The perpetrators of Sunday’s foiled terrorist attack in the Turkish capital Ankara used a car they stole from a civilian they murdered, said the country’s Interior Ministry. 

The links of one of the dead attackers to the terrorist group PKK have been confirmed, the ministry said, adding that an investigation of the other terrorist continues.

The vehicle used in the attack was found to have been stolen from a Turkish citizen named Mikail Bozlagan, who worked as a veterinary health technician in Develi in the central Kayseri province.

He was murdered by the terrorists and his vehicle was stolen, according to Anadolu Agency citing the ministry’s statement.

Two police officers were slightly injured when one of the two terrorists on Sunday morning blew himself up in front of the Security Directorate General in the capital.

“Two terrorists, who arrived in a light commercial vehicle in front of the gate of the Security Directorate General, carried out a bomb attack. One of the terrorists blew himself up and the other was neutralised,” Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya previously said on X. 

He added that the two police officers are being treated for injuries, which are not life-threatening.

Ankara prosecutors have launched an investigation into the terrorist attack. 

Malaysia condemns attack

Meanwhile, Putrajaya has strongly condemned the suicide bombing incident in Ankara.

“Malaysia stands in solidarity with the Türkiye Government and the international community in rejecting any acts of violence aimed at disrupting the legitimate political process,” said the Malaysia’s Foreign Ministry (Wisma Putra) in a statement Monday.  

Wisma Putra also confirmed there was no report of any Malaysian involved in the incident, adding that the Embassy of Malaysia in Türkiye is monitoring the development and closely liaising with relevant local authorities for more information.

“Malaysians in Türkiye are urged to take precautions and always adhere to the travel advisories issued by the local authorities,” the statement read. 

Malaysian nationals in Türkiye seeking assistance may contact the Malaysian Embassy in Ankara at 00 (90-312) 44635 47/ 48 or 00 (90 – 5078128406) (Mobile) or email [email protected]

They may also contact the Consulate General in Istanbul at 00 (90-212) 989 10 01 or email [email protected]. – Bernama, October 2, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 4d

Body found bound in net: Four charged with murder

Malaysia / 1w

Grandmother charged with murdering step-granddaughter

Malaysia / 2w

College student charged with causing death of newborn baby girl

Malaysia / 1mth

Transparency, not silence, is how institutions earn trust, says former Mongolian PM

Malaysia / 2mth

44-year-old woman charged with murder of Indonesian

Malaysia / 2mth

Killing, burning pregnant girlfriend; Prosecution requests death penalty to be upheld

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline