World

Israel at war after 'surprise' air attack, ground infiltration from Gaza, says Netanyahu

More than a thousand rockets have been fired into Israeli territory.

Updated 2 years ago · Published on 07 Oct 2023 6:27PM

Israel at war after 'surprise' air attack, ground infiltration from Gaza, says Netanyahu
A scene in Israel following violent infiltration by Palestine attackers. ANI-Facebook screengrab

TEL AVIV – Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Saturday that Israel is in fact in a state of war, and not in the format of a military operation since the morning attack by militants from the Gaza Strip, reported Sputnik.

"Citizens of Israel!. We are at war. This is not an operation... but a war. This morning, Hamas launched a deadly surprise attack on Israel and its citizens. In the morning,

"I convened the heads of law enforcement agencies and instructed them to clear populated areas from terrorists who had infiltrated [Israel]. This operation is carried out during these hours. At the same time, I ordered a widespread mobilisation of the reserves. The enemy will pay a price it has never known," Netanyahu said in an address to the nation.

On Saturday morning, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said militants infiltrated Israel and fired more than 1,000 rockets from Gaza into its territory.

Following the incident, the IDF declared a "counterterrorist" operation against Hamas.

The military wing of the Hamas movement, the Al-Qassam Brigades, in turn, announced an operation against Israel.

At least 20 Israelis have been killed and over 540 others injured in the Gaza rockets attack, the Israeli media reported.

Medics reported casualties from the rocket attacks around the towns of Ashkelon, Gedera and Yavne.

A 70-year-old woman was critically injured in a direct hit on a building near Gedera, the Magen David Adom ambulance service said. 

Meanwhile, the Israeli Broadcasting Corporation said that Defence Minister Yoav Galant approved the mobilisation of reserve forces after announcing preparations to deal with the situation as a state of war.

Israel has declared a “state of readiness” for war after Palestinian factions in the Gaza Strip fired an intense barrage of rockets early Saturday toward Israel, reports Israel Broadcasting Authority.

The rocket salvoes were fired from different locations in the enclave but Israel’s Iron Dome defence system intercepted many, according to an AA correspondent.

In Tel Aviv, several armed Palestinians have entered Israeli territory during the barrage of rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip, reported dpa, citing army sources. 

"A number of Palestinians have infiltrated into Israeli territory from the Gaza Strip. Residents in the area surrounding the Gaza Strip have been asked to stay in their homes," the Israeli Defence Force wrote on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

Eyewitnesses reported exchanges of fire in the streets. 

It was unclear how the attackers from the Gaza Strip had been able to cross the strictly protected border. A video showing a hang-glider was circulating on social media. However, it could not initially be independently verified. 

The massive attack from the Gaza Strip came as a surprise. The situation had recently escalated again, especially in the occupied West Bank. Since Thursday, four Palestinians have died in their own attacks or in confrontations with the army. – The Vibes, October 7, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Dr Mahathir slams Netanyahu over opposition to Palestinian state

World / 3w

Why Russia is expanding the Northern Sea Route

Malaysia / 3w

KDN: Israeli travel documents not recognised for entry into Malaysia

Malaysia / 4w

US lawmakers urge review of Malaysia ties over Anwar’s Israel deportation remarks

Malaysia / 1mth

Network School postpones new investments in Malaysia, seeks government guarantee

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus