Malaysia

RM3 million safe theft: police scour CCTV as Hulu Klang investigation widens

Police are intensifying efforts to track down suspects behind the audacious theft of a 100kg safe from a Hillview residence, with all surrounding surveillance footage now under scrutiny

Updated 6 months ago · Published on 07 Feb 2026 12:57PM

RM3 million safe theft: police scour CCTV as Hulu Klang investigation widens
Ampang Jaya district police chief says investigators are focusing on identifying those responsible by reviewing every available closed-circuit television recording in the surrounding area - February 7, 2026

POLICE in Ampang Jaya are pressing ahead with an in-depth investigation into the theft of a safe valued at nearly RM3 million from a home in Taman Hillview, Hulu Klang, an incident believed to have occurred while the occupants were away late last year.

Ampang Jaya district police chief Assistant Commissioner Khairul Anuar Khalid said investigators are focusing on identifying those responsible by reviewing every available closed-circuit television recording in the surrounding area.

“The case is still under investigation (to identify the suspects) and all CCTV recordings around the victim’s residence have been reviewed,” he said in a statement today.

The burglary, which is believed to have taken place on 23 December, involved three men allegedly breaking into the property and removing a safe weighing almost 100 kilograms. The safe is said to have contained gold and cash, with total losses estimated at close to RM3 million.

The homeowner, entrepreneur Johan Al Fateh, 34, was reportedly in Kelantan with his wife at the time of the incident. He is understood to have discovered the break-in only three days later, when an employee visited the house to charge the battery of an electric vehicle.

Earlier police action saw six individuals, including a foreign woman, detained to assist investigations. However, Khairul Anuar said subsequent inquiries found no evidence linking them to the crime and all were released.

Police said investigations are ongoing as they work to trace the suspects and recover the stolen safe and its contents. - February 7, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Anwar approves additional RM1 million for Hindu crematorium in Seberang Prai

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

Anwar vows stronger Federal ties with Sabah, Sarawak ahead of MA63 talks

Malaysia

Teen found dead after disappearing during tahfiz programme in Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia

Pahang Sultan stops convoy to aid seriously injured crash victims in Sarawak

Malaysia

Poor air quality: Sharp rise in asthma cases

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Budget 2027: Cost of living to take centre stage as government weighs global risks

Malaysia

API below 200: All schools in Sarawak will reopen tomorrow