NEARLY 100,000 scam-related posts have been removed from social media platforms in Malaysia this year, as authorities step up efforts to protect the public from increasingly widespread online fraud.
The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) removed 99,693 scam-related posts as of July 15, already surpassing the total of 98,503 posts taken down throughout last year.
Deputy Communications Minister Teo Nie Ching said MCMC had submitted 106,268 requests to social media platform providers to remove scam-related content during the same period, compared with 102,113 requests made throughout last year.
The figures underscore the scale of the online scam threat confronting Malaysians, with fraudulent content continuing to circulate across social media platforms and potentially exposing users to financial losses.
“Indeed, there is a slight difference because although the requests are submitted by MCMC, the platforms still have absolute discretion over whether to remove the content or otherwise.
“However, for scam cases, the compliance rate (among platforms) is usually above 90 per cent,” she said.
Teo said this after the MADANI Kita Programme 2026 for Johor at Dewan Raya Taman Desa Skudai.
While MCMC can request the removal of suspected scam content, the final decision rests with the respective social media platforms.
The high compliance rate, however, means the vast majority of content flagged by the regulator for removal is ultimately taken down, providing an important layer of protection for social media users.
The sharp increase in takedown requests also highlights the growing challenge faced by authorities in keeping fraudulent content off online platforms as scammers increasingly use social media to reach potential victims. - August 22, 2026