Malaysia

High Court sets October defence hearing for four men in Nhaveen murder case

Prosecutor says the primary challenge is revisiting the extensive evidence and testimony presented during the earlier stages of the trial, nearly nine years after the fatal assault

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 03 Jul 2026 1:48PM

High Court sets October defence hearing for four men in Nhaveen murder case
The High Court sets eight hearing dates in October for the defence stage of the long-running murder trial involving the death of bullying victim T Nhaveen - July 3, 2026

THE High Court in Penang has fixed Oct 7 to 9 and Oct 12 to 16 for the defence hearing of four men ordered to enter their defence on charges of murdering bullying victim T Nhaveen in 2017.

The accused are J Ragesuthan, 26, S Gokulan, 26, and two other individuals who were juveniles at the time of the incident.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Mohd Amri Johari said the dates were set during a case management proceeding before Deputy Registrar Muhammad Firdaus Abdul Wahab.

He said the court also fixed an online case management session before High Court Judge Datuk Mohd Radzi Abdul Hamid on July 13 as a final preparatory hearing before the trial resumes.

“The online case management is intended to allow either party to raise any issues, concerns or matters before the judge prior to the commencement of the trial in October,” he told reporters at the Penang Courts Complex on Friday.

Mohd Amri said he will lead the prosecution together with Deputy Public Prosecutor Yazid Mustaqim Roslan.

Commenting on the case, which has stretched over almost nine years, Mohd Amri said the primary challenge is revisiting the extensive evidence and testimony presented during the earlier stages of the trial.

“The challenge is to refresh the facts of the case, including for the defence. We need to thoroughly review the entire case file, the evidence of witnesses who have testified and the previous trial records to ensure that all parties are fully prepared when proceedings resume,” he said.

Previously, the Court of Appeal allowed the prosecution's appeal against the High Court's decision on Oct 3, 2023, which had acquitted and discharged the four accused without calling for their defence.

The appellate court ordered Ragesuthan, Gokulan and the two other accused to enter their defence on the murder charge and remitted the case to the Penang High Court for the defence stage.

The four men were also ordered to enter their defence on a separate charge of voluntarily causing hurt to Nhaveen's friend, T Previin, near the Karpal Singh Learning Centre in Jalan Kaki Bukit, Gelugor, between 11pm and midnight on June 9, 2017.

Nhaveen died on June 15, 2017, after spending six days in Penang Hospital receiving treatment for severe injuries sustained in the assault, during which he was allegedly beaten with a motorcycle helmet. - July 3, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

BN, UMNO preparing to ‘back stab’ unity government - Puad Zarkashi

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Govt open to study integrating GST, SST

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

Malaysia

Sabah youths urged to see agriculture as modern career and business opportunity - Masidi

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

Malaysia

Maritime expert urges MACC to break silence on petroleum cargo commingling issue

Malaysia

Prosecution challenges Zizie Izette’s acquittal in RM150 million FELCRA bribery case

Malaysia

Immigration truck tragedy: PM extends condolences, orders thorough probe