Malaysia

MCO 2.0 not as severe to economy: Tok Pa

Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed says government’s current pandemic response is ‘realistic’, cutting daily economic losses by as much as 20% from previous lockdown

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Feb 2021 11:03PM

MCO 2.0 not as severe to economy: Tok Pa
Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed says that the government accepts that Covid-19 will be around for a while more, and the economy must gradually reopen. – File pic, February 3, 2021

by A. Azim Idris

KUALA LUMPUR – Malaysia is losing an estimated RM600 million to RM700 million daily thanks to the economic impact of the current movement control order (MCO), said Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed.

The minister in the Prime Minister’s Department in charge of economic affairs said this was far lower than the estimated RM2.4 billion losses a day during the first MCO in March last year.

He said the reduced losses incurred were due to the government taking a different approach to address the Covid-19 pandemic.

“We (the government) have accepted that Covid-19 will be with us for the moment before all Malaysians are administered with vaccines,” he said during a special interview with Astro Awani this evening.

“Therefore, the government’s approach in terms of philosophy has shifted towards balancing lives and livelihoods.”

He said the government last year had given more emphasis on public health to contain the pandemic.

“Previously, (we see infections) in the two or three figures to the four figures now. We are making efforts to reduce the numbers with the help of the Health Ministry and other authorities. we know that (Covid-19) will be here to stay for a certain amount of time," he said.

“Therefore, we need to find a method that is more realistic because before this we read reports of RM2.4 billion in daily losses.

“Now, economic losses have reduced to somewhere in the region of RM700 million a day. That is a big difference.”

He added that this meant that total daily losses had been trimmed by as much as 20%, compared to the roughly two-month lockdown from March to May last year.

“The government has now allowed some sectors to operate as the government is incapable of continuing aid provisions (to certain businesses) as the country’s income has been affected,” he said.

However, he said under the circumstances, the government has done its best with initiatives such as the RM15 billion Malaysian Economic and Rakyat’s Protection Assistance Package (Permai), and wage subsidies amounting to RM1 billion with an added RM500 million stimulus, among others.

He added that these ensured that those who are bound to lose their jobs could sustain their livelihoods.

“But in the long term, we have no choice but to be realistic in realising that Covid-19 will be with us for a while, and therefore we should reopen up our economy,” he said.

“This is currently happening, but will definitely be subject to standard operating procedures (SOPs) set by the Health Ministry.” – The Vibes, February 3, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 4h

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

Malaysia / 1d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 2d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 6d

Six per cent growth proves Malaysia's economy remains resilient - PM

Events / 1w

Industry experts gather for IPMEX 2026 in Kuala Lumpur

Opinion / 1w

LHDN’s uneven hand: Tough on MSMEs, soft on the shadows

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Anwar unveils first online 9.9 Jualan Ihsan Rahmah sale for Malaysians

Malaysia

Just accept the court decision – Ramkarpal tells Sanusi

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Former investment bank CEO charged with RM139.8m fraud

Malaysia

Sarawak haze shuts 591 schools across 10 districts

Malaysia

Cabinet approves 17 measures to beef up KLIA security checks, controls

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Man arrested after viral video shows kitten being beaten with aluminium broom

Malaysia

Defence readiness lifts as regional military activity, new threats intensify

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate